PRUNING!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I got my first ever David Austin Rose. I live in Michigan zone 6a and I am unsure when to prune my rose. Did I miss my window, should I do it now, or wait until spring? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Do it now, I assume its relatively bare? I like that they have a little time to figure out where to send the spring energy, rather than be interrupted by cutting after the rise has begun and the energy is wasted by having been sent to points that get removed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's not too late for you to prune as DirtMechanic has said. I haven't done my own yet as Spring growth has been held back by a long snowy winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Basically a newly planted rose, has already to some extent been pruned. So, apart from perhaps tidying up any damaged ends, leave for a season. Then begin to shape the plant. So yes, now is a good time to start pruning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its a good opportunity to study how to prune a plant open, controling the crosses and other details, then sit back and watch them explode. If they are not vigorous as spring springs, immediately suspect drainage and soil issues and move to remedy the problem.

Ask a Question