Pruning Tall Trees

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
How do you prune tall trees, let's say trees that are more than 10metres high? I am usually afraid of climbing very tall trees and I think some pole pruners won't help me out. Do you climb with a saw to cut the extra branches? How do you ensure your safety?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do you prune tall trees, let's say trees that are more than 10metres high? I am usually afraid of climbing very tall trees and I think some pole pruners won't help me out. Do you climb with a saw to cut the extra branches? How do you ensure your safety?
Back when I was young and stupid I would leave the saw on the ground while I was climbing and then pull it up with a rope. I always used a safety harness which was always attached to the tree. Even doing this I had a few close calls. The main thing is don't be afraid of pitching the chainsaw if you use one. I always figured a broken leg was a lot better than an amputated leg.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Doing that on tall trees can be tricky and very dangerous, especially if you are not all that experienced.

I already saw locals falling from branches ~10 meters high around here. They didn't die, but they were unable to prune trees for some time. (y)

Recently, my neighbor pruned his mango tree which had many thick branches... And he paid some men to do that, they were 2 or 3, all they used was a few ropes and a knife (all went well).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Doing that on tall trees can be tricky and very dangerous, especially if you are not all that experienced.

I already saw locals falling from branches ~10 meters high around here. They didn't die, but they were not able to prune trees for some time. (y)

Recently, my neighbor pruned his mango tree which had many thick branches... And he paid some men to do that, they were 2 or 3, all they used was a few ropes and a knife (all went well).
Just a word to the wise...................:geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a hired hand to do the trimming of our trees. We have a mango tree that we prune every 5 years or so. It is called topwork where the crown of the tree is pruned so it will not grow tall. The main reason for pruning a tall tree is to make it lower since a very tall tree cannot be climbed so the fruits would just go to waste. But not anyone can prune a tree because there is a technique involved on how to cut the branches properly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
depends on how tall. and how many, and how able you are to climb high. We do not need that sort of trimming, but if did we would get a company to come in with their trucks. three summers ago we had 8 huge trees taken out. they were easy, 180 feet high.

Ask a Question