Prune or leave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved into a house with a really lovely established garden. The house has been rented for about 6 years and the garden has been left to grow I think, which isn’t such a bad thing but some of the trees could do with a cut back and currently in the process of digging out some well
Spread ground elder!

Ive attached a few photos of a corner of the garden I’m not sure what to do with. Would you cut back the trees and bushes or leave them for the season? Also any help with identifying what they are would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could the other be a wisteria? They are about to come in bloom , but the leaf doesn't look right. Certainly some sort of apple. Cotoneaster, Berberis Darwinii? The general rule with flowering shrubs is cut them after they have flowered, so restrain yourself for a bit, it will be easier to identify the other one when it comes into flower too. If the rest of the garden is in a similar state I bet you can find something else to do :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think number three is a Laburnum. The flowers are quite long - could be ''Vossii''

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you are right, Tetters. Much more the right sort of leaf. All fairly 'ordinary' sort of plants, but that is no bad thing. I always warn beginners to avoid expensive plants, they are not dearer because they are better, but because they are harder to grow. Cheap plants can be just as beautiful, but they will be easy to grow.

Ask a Question