Problems with septic tank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone had a problem with the location of a septic tank? It seems the only good area in my yard is in the grain field but I don't actually don't know how big it is and I'm definitely not taking a chance on raw veggies so I guess my question is could I use the area for things I would process? Like I'm thinking growing barley for homebrew and I'm aware the alcohol will probably kill whatever bacteria, guess I'm just looking for reassurance/ anybody's past experience for this kind of thing. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I think that septic tanks should not be located close to human habitation or food sources. You seen to have a way of sterilizing it which is fine. But it will also depend on the concentration of the alcohol. How about purchasing a bacterial culture and inoculating the tank in order to aid fermentation? The sludge generated is safe for agricultural use and would not be a health concern.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What I would do is use planters and containers, you can still use the space, without having the roots of your plants be in the soil that is potentially harmed by the septic tank. I¨ve seen a lot of people use planters to hide the actual lid of the sceptic tank, but why not just expand that further to include the area above the tank itself. You can also do a rock garden and birdbath area there.

Ask a Question