Problem with starts...squash and cantaloupe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We started from seed, indoors, warm, and under a light. The squash are getting very tall. Some are leaning all the way over.
The cantaloupe looked great but are now curling upwards.
I decided to put them outside for a few hours out of direct sunlight.
Is there anything else I should or shouldn't be doing?

Attachments

• WP_20150414_13_25_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150414_13_25_10_Pro.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 416
  • WP_20150414_13_25_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150414_13_25_22_Pro.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 418
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for replying. Should I bring them inside at night? I'm in Washington state...it is still pretty cold at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would bring them in at night, and would tend to ease them into the full sun (slowly get them used to it)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'd start again, to be honest.
You CAN save them, but they're unlikely ever to be great, and they'll be a lot more work than re-starting.
Plus, since you now know what mistake you made, you won't repeat it.

Reaction score
I have problems when I start seeds too early.
your specific issue may be due to inadequate sunlight. And I would keep them outside under indirect sun (as you have done) for 4-5 hours. take them in at night unless you have a greenhouse.
I grew under grow lights as well, and it seems to keep the plants growing straight, but with cantaloupe, melons, and pumpkins they tend to fall over because they grow this way. I find that grow lights are great supplementation for plants, but it's not the same as exposing them to the outdoors.
I have used a mini greenhouse to keep cantaloupe, peppers, cilantro, pineapple, and pumpkins warm at night. also the greenhouse is in a controlled setting--maintains heat, moisture, and keeps the plants out of the strong winds that have been prevalent in the last month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I salvaged what I could, put them in bigger pots, and continue to have them in natural light for a few hours.
I planted some new seeds. This time I will harden them earlier. Thank you for all of the suggestions. You all are great.

Ask a Question