Problem with growing Opo squash (lauki)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys,
I have been growing opo squash for several years. Last couple of years, I had this problem - it starts with yellow spots in the vine and then it will turn black. The leaves starts to wilt and young fruits will get black spots and turns spongy.The vine will get rotten and filled with a watery fluid.

In some years the plant will survive ,,but last year it did n't

I would like to know the disease and it's prevention .

Attaching 3 pictures

Advance Thanks

Attachments

• OpoSquash-Image3.jpg
    OpoSquash-Image3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 550
  • OpoSquash - Image2.jpg
    OpoSquash - Image2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 466
  • OpoSquash - Image 1.jpg
    OpoSquash - Image 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 559
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Squash is a plant that requires it to be rotated in the garden. Growing it in the same place year after year will lead to fungal problems which is what you describe. Even growing it every other year in the same place will build up a fungus in the soil. When squash shows symptoms as you describe, IMO you should not try to grow that particular cultivar in close proximity of where you planted it before

Reaction score
Country
United States
Squash is a plant that requires it to be rotated in the garden. Growing it in the same place year after year will lead to fungal problems which is what you describe. Even growing it every other year in the same place will build up a fungus in the soil. When squash shows symptoms as you describe, IMO you should not try to grow that particular cultivar in close proximity of where you planted it before
Thank you for the response. Looks like that is all that can be done

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We call that UPO here or gourd. But anyway, that brown thing is a sign of infection. I can't say what exactly is the parasite but what the farmers here do is to smoke the tree to drive away the pests. They burn dry leaves and grass near the plant. However, burning is now prohibited so maybe you can try the liquid soap as substitute for pesticides.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, will see if it works. I have a small area, so liquid soap may be the way to go.

Ask a Question