Problem or normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Info: I live in the UK (N.I.) in a town house with a small L-shaped, South facing back yard which gets 3-7 hours sun on a good day. I have severe hand arthritis so have had to downsize most plants/shrubs etc into bonsai, but still have a few. Most are fed with Green Dream or similar feed, incl container shrubs, plus seaweed feed intermittently.

This little azalea has done quite well since I bought it last year but when it fell out of the pot 3 days ago (thanks to a pigeon knocking it off the shelf it was on!) I found that its root growth wasn't quite as good as I'd have expected in a year since repotting. But my main concern currently is with leaves that are going dark brown at the tips before yellowing and falling off. Now I appreciate leaves will drop off deciduous azaleas from this month onwards, but seems a bit early to me, as usually they put on a lot of new growth around now.

It flowered well back in May and I dead headed a good lot last month after flowering to conserve some energy so as it's a rather unusual colour of flower I'm keen to ensure I don't miss possible problems by making assumptions that this is normal leaf loss.

So just needing reassurance or suggestions what to do if need be.

Attachments

• DSC_9791.JPG
    DSC_9791.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_9792.JPG
    DSC_9792.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0175.JPG
    DSCF0175.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 136
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That sure doesn’t look good to me. Right now Azaleas should be at their peak of health and not be dropping leaves. I am attaching a picture of my Azalea taken today. I am training this as a pre-bonsai. After the flowers wilted I defoliate it and cut much of it back. You can see how green and healthy the leaves are. Hopefully one of our flower experts will jump in with a diagnosis.

A38A48BF-8EE4-492D-BEBD-CB89B1D860C2.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Pot is too small in the sense of breathing? Over heating roots? They have a root capable of finding its way about rocks and generally being robust. I would almost bet the topside has become larger in need than the bottom side is able to deliver. Ours grow quite large, though I know there are many types.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeh - that's my worry too - I didn't want to prune it back as it's already a bit late I'd imagine & I'd really like to see it flower again. Wondering whether I could risk repotting it into a grit mix as almost all my bonsai are in that and do well, but reluctant to do much until I know for sure whether it would cope etc. Hopefully as you say, someone else might help confirm it. Thanks.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it were mine, I would re pot into a larger pot with fresh soil added...the grit mix would work as long as acidic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Repotting while a plant is stressed is not a good idea. Unless it is the soil / pot that is causing the problem. The only organic material in my soil is about 20% Pine Bark. The rest is diatomaceous earth, lava rock and perlite. This requires a strict watering regimen but the Azaleas grow like weeds.

Ask a Question