Privacy - boxwood or climber?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to plant something at the bottom of my yard, along the fence, mainly to provide some privacy. It’s about 30 feet long. The area gets sun for most of the day. I have already dug a trench along by the fence, but apparently I was only meant to dig individual holes for each plant?!

I was thinking about going with something like African Boxwood, but it would be nice to have something with some color. Perhaps a climber? But then I am worried that my neighbor behind might not like it, as their pool is just the other side of the fence, and the flowers may blow into it…

Perhaps bamboo would be good?

I know almost nothing about plants, shrubs, and gardening in general, so it would be great to get some suggestions! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

A flowering vine is an excellent option for a sunny fence. nails and wire can be used tofor support on a wooden fence.
Consider passionflowers (Passiflora spp.), Honeysuckles (Lonicera). various Trumpet Vines (Bignoniaceae), etc.

Bamboos (Bambusoideae, Poaceae) are also an option. There are clumping types and running types that send out rhizomes, the latter is best planted in a contained area or one with a surrounding barrier installed such as concrete that goes at least a foot underground.

Consider planting both vines on the fence itself, and a row of flowering perennials and shrubs in front. A fence border can be quite a showpiece if planted so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

A flowering vine is an excellent option for a sunny fence. nails and wire can be used tofor support on a wooden fence.
Consider passionflowers (Passiflora spp.), Honeysuckles (Lonicera). various Trumpet Vines (Bignoniaceae), etc.

Bamboos (Bambusoideae, Poaceae) are also an option. There are clumping types and running types that send out rhizomes, the latter is best planted in a contained area or one with a surrounding barrier installed such as concrete that goes at least a foot underground.

Consider planting both vines on the fence itself, and a row of flowering perennials and shrubs in front. A fence border can be quite a showpiece if planted so.
thanks for the suggestions. I am quite keen on going with bamboo, but I was wondering - do I need to put down a root barrier? The property behind has gravel, not a flowerbed. Could the bamboo still invade into their yard?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Running Bamboos, produce robust rhizomes that can spring up a number of feet from the parent plant. In moist irrigated ground, removing unwanted satellite bamboo can be a significant digging-weeding chore. Non-irrigated Summer-dry ground in California often discourages such spread, though not always completely. A sturdy barrier such as concrete or mortared brick. that goes down about one to two foot will stop most rhizome spread. There are also specially designed plastic barriers available. Genera of running bamboos include Indocalamus, Ochlandra, Phyllostachys, Pleioblastus, Pseudosasa, Sasa, Semiarundianria, and others.

Some people prefer to avoid unwanted spread by planting clumping bamboos. Examples of clumping bamboos, include the genera Bambusa, Borinda ,Chusquea, Fargesia, Himalayocalamus, Otatea. Yushania, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you want colour but not flowers how about something like Photinia Red Robin. A good strong grower with the colour in the leaves, though I don't if it would suit the San Diego climate, but possibly when I look at what Marck is recommending.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The climate of coastal San Diego could be described as subtropical. It is usually frost-free, but there is some Winter coolness and Summers are hot and dry as it is a semi-arid Mediterranean climate. Red Robin (Photinia x fraseri) can grow there, as can a wide variety of other temperate plants. Still, its mild climate does encourage the addition of a tropical component to many gardens, especially plants from the drier tropics.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been scared off bamboo, as I'm worried about it invading next door's garden.

Also, I'm thinking that instead of one uniform hedge, we might go for a mix of different shrubs and climbers...

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many beautiful gardens in San Diego. if you see one that you like, post a picture. We can identify the plants and interpret the function and maintenance of the design. Succulents and California native plants are great additions for a garden in your climate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to plant something at the bottom of my yard, along the fence, mainly to provide some privacy. It’s about 30 feet long. The area gets sun for most of the day. I have already dug a trench along by the fence, but apparently I was only meant to dig individual holes for each plant?!

I was thinking about going with something like African Boxwood, but it would be nice to have something with some color. Perhaps a climber? But then I am worried that my neighbor behind might not like it, as their pool is just the other side of the fence, and the flowers may blow into it…

Perhaps bamboo would be good?

I know almost nothing about plants, shrubs, and gardening in general, so it would be great to get some suggestions! :)
One vote for the boxwood here. I've had bamboo, vines and others. Though it won't fill in as fast as some, the boxwood are much less work being a slower grower- for me anyway. Even if you use a barrier there is still root maintenance with bamboo. I have been surprised how fast boxwood can grow under good conditions. I've kept mine natural looking. I started another row between me and my neighbors becasue they worked out so great. I'll walk by when doing yard work hand snip a piece off here and there, never cutting anything all at once, just at random when I see something. A few times I brought the height back down to strengthen it and the result is a wispy natural looking barrier that has movement in the wind. And it holds up under winter snow loads. But I guess that depends on how much room you have, how soon you want it and what type you get?

I only say this becasue I've had vines on a fence before. I don't know your relationship with your neighbor, but If you go with a vine or climber on the fence, consider that your neighbor may or may not love having to trim that back and off their side without having a choice. Climbers do tend to make runners and reach out, get into trees, or flowers etc. Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would suggest the evergreen idea is most pertinent to your choice and point out that there are many that have beautiful flowers. Bougainvillea and magnolia come to mind but I also have a weak spot for the scent of certain olives.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You lucky people, living places where you can grow Bougainvillea and olives. There has been a fashion here for olives in pots in recent years, but they rarely look happy to me. I have a theory that the garden centers conspire to think of something they can sell to yuppies that they saw on holiday and which is going to die and need replacing, "How about olives? We can sell them a large Italian pot at the same time." :)
There is one lady I know who gets away with it, she is Italian in origin and her garden is Italian in design, but she lives in North London where the average temperature is two degrees higher, has a very sheltered garden, and has put the olive in the sunniest spot. She grows lovely lilies, and I used to take her a selection of different Basil types when I worked in the area.

Ask a Question