Pretty planter made from old tires.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have used old tires for a planter before, and they work great, but they sure did look ugly !
Someone had a great idea with these tires, they painted them all up in Easter Egg colors, and stacked them in a pretty formation, and added colorful flowers, and now it makes a cheap and unique flower feature.
I think that even if you didn't stack them, and they were just scattered here and there, they would still look pretty, and all it needs to make them is some old tires, and colorful paint. You could even stencil it if you wanted to get fancy.
I am thinking that I would like them with a mix of flowers and veggies planted in them, so they would be practical, as well as pretty.
image.jpg

Reaction score
I like all the colors!

There's a neat tire garden in the next town over. It's a tractor tire (not painted) and FULL to bursting with hens and chicks. I just LOVE it! One of my "some day" plans is to have a garden dedicated to just succulent plants. I just love them!

Reaction score
Oh, I just noticed the ceramic chickens. That's pretty cute. I usually don't like tires as planters because the black rubber doesn't aesthetically appeal to me, but the different colors of paint make this tire garden look cute and quirky.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had some once which were made by cutting the tyre around the wheel on one side and then turning inside out, making a goblet shape with the metal part becoming the base.

Not sure you could do it with a modern steel belted radial though.

Reaction score
I have used old tires for a planter before, and they work great, but they sure did look ugly !
Someone had a great idea with these tires, they painted them all up in Easter Egg colors, and stacked them in a pretty formation, and added colorful flowers, and now it makes a cheap and unique flower feature.
I think that even if you didn't stack them, and they were just scattered here and there, they would still look pretty, and all it needs to make them is some old tires, and colorful paint. You could even stencil it if you wanted to get fancy.
I am thinking that I would like them with a mix of flowers and veggies planted in them, so they would be practical, as well as pretty.View attachment 669
I love this!! Its so so beautiful thanx for sharing, now i know what i'm going to do this weekend! I think this is also a great way of keeping the kiddies active in the garden they can paint the tyres!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This looks so cheerful! It reminds me of a rainbow, it's really lovely. I like decorations like this.
The little white tire on the top of it looks the cutest:D

Reaction score
The treads almost make them look like baskets, don't they? Very pretty and colorful indeed!

Reaction score
This is a great idea! I love those little chickens, LOL.

Be cautious when dealing with tires, though. Snakes like to curl up inside of them. They could also be a nice home for a black widow spider. When collecting the tires, I would kick the tire a few times before reaching down to pick it up. And definitely wear gloves. If I made something like this, I would find something to fill the hollow area of the tire so it doesn't become inviting for some type of unwanted guest. Maybe filling them with some rocks before adding the dirt or mulch. The extra weight would also make it more sturdy.

Thanks for sharing the idea. :)

Reaction score
Great idea! This is also a way to recycle the tires out of the landfill. Be sure to keep the tires filled with dirt or something, or else water can collect in them and become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

You can also use stacked tires for potato plants. As the plants grow, you need to put more earth around their bases to cover the growing potatoes. Just add another tire, and fill with more dirt.

Reaction score
Great idea! This is also a way to recycle the tires out of the landfill. Be sure to keep the tires filled with dirt or something, or else water can collect in them and become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

You can also use stacked tires for potato plants. As the plants grow, you need to put more earth around their bases to cover the growing potatoes. Just add another tire, and fill with more dirt.

I've heard you can also grow potatoes that way with wire mesh. As the plant grows you just keep adding more dirt around it. Then, when you harvest you have potatoes throughout the dirt. I thought it was a tremendous idea but haven't followed through on it yet. Has anyone else done something like this?

Reaction score
I've heard you can also grow potatoes that way with wire mesh. As the plant grows you just keep adding more dirt around it. Then, when you harvest you have potatoes throughout the dirt. I thought it was a tremendous idea but haven't followed through on it yet. Has anyone else done something like this?

Yes can do it using tyres as in the post. Painted up before stacking they would look quite attractive as well. Most people use 30/50 gallon containers, make suitable drainage holes. As you keep piling compost around the plant the little hairs on the stalk start to turn into potato tubers then potatoes. That way you have potatoes growing right up the plant. Harvest as usual when the plant flowers, or dead-head them to get some extra growth.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I was trying to describe Claudine :) Good find

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The second group of tires are the ones I see in my area and would like to have a few in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The tires garden look amazing, fresh, and very cheerful to see. I would love to do something like this, as it would help hiding some holes on the ground in my front yard that caused by squirrels and evergreen trees too. Just gorgeous~

Ask a Question