Pre Turf Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Day all!

New to the site and after a little advice :)

Decided to take the plunge and re turf my rear lawn as it in poor condition but more importantly, is not level.

I have an 12 x 8 meter area to turf, one edge of the lawn is at the level I want the grass to be but unfortunately, opposite the other edge slopes off around 12 -15" lower (like this since I moved in for some obscure reason)

In order to build this area up with top soil seems like a costly option and I'm wondering if there is another suitable material I can use to infill the bulk of the lawn before i proceeded with the top soil?

Any information greatly appreciated, oh and stay safe in these unprecedented times!

Regards

Chris

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently had 3 cubic yards of a garden mix delivered to me for $180 total. Bulk delivery is likely not as expensive as you think, but i'm also in a different continent as you, so I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get dump truck loads of top soil or composted manure for $190 and $280 delivered. I have to move it by hand with a shovel and wheelbarrow and I think its worth the labor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

The best idea with gardening is to have a long term plan.

Planning a garden requires a lot of thought and it's best to do it a bit at a time. The advice of how to get it level is sound. If that's all you can afford to do this year it will be money well spent.
I always suggest that people should once the basic clearance has been achieved start working to the plan from the bit nearest the house where you can see the results of your efforts. Then tackle the next bit when time and cash permits.

Ask a Question