Potted mint - will it survive winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hello all.

I have some chocolate mint in a 6 inch or so diameter pot that is currently on my front porch that I transplanted from a field where it grows abundantly. I'd like to keep it through the winter, but cannot bring it inside due to poor lighting through my windows and more importantly, cats that strive to eat any living plant I bring inside the house. Will the mint survive in the pot through the winter?

I know it is pretty hardy in the ground, and because I live in a rental property, I am hesitant to just plant it in the yard. Would keeping some straw at the base help to insulate it? I live in upstate NY and we have already had a few below freezing nights, once with frost even, and so far it seems to be pretty healthy.

I'm fairly new to gardening and have been experimenting with a few different plants this year, and the mint has been a real success, and as such I'd like to keep it without having to transplant again.

Reaction score
I think it should be fine throughout the winter, but this is only going from my personal experience. I have so much mint in my backyard and it tends to stay throughout the entire year. My mint has survived through the harshest weather, so it wouldn't surprise me if you go without issue during the winter.

I want to say that putting the straw may help a bit. It should remain healthy with or without, but it doesn't hurt to try. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm not sure if this is correct because we have no winter here. Mint is a sturdy plant and our mint that is thriving in the planter box is not delicate albeit it is very prolific even when not given attention. For occasions, we would plant mint in a small plastic pot for decorating the buffet table. Sometimes that small pot of mint would stay indoors for weeks. So I guess mint can be indoors during winter. But when it looks pale, put it out for sunning even for half an hour.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is correct because we have no winter here. Mint is a sturdy plant and our mint that is thriving in the planter box is not delicate albeit it is very prolific even when not given attention. For occasions, we would plant mint in a small plastic pot for decorating the buffet table. Sometimes that small pot of mint would stay indoors for weeks. So I guess mint can be indoors during winter. But when it looks pale, put it out for sunning even for half an hour.

The fact that you're not having any issues with your mint in the winter, I think sums it up. It's good to know my advice wasn't false just based on my experience. I always think I might just be getting lucky with my plants. After reading your post, I think mint is a pretty great fighter throughout harsh weather conditions. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the same concern for my chocolate mint, which I just got this summer, and they are potted too. My regular mint is in the ground, and they survive many years already through Michigan harsh winter. As for my chocolate, just to be I will still have some growing next year, I took a few and planted in the ground. When summer comes and if the potted one doesn't come back, I will dug the other chocolate mint up and pot it again. I can't afford having them taking up so much space :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've never had any luck bringing plants inside in pots - but I haven't tried it with mint, so that might be a different story entirely. I've grown mint in gardens before and it's always been very hardy and resilient so hopefully it's the case for you too when you bring it inside!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yeah, it seems to be a very resilient plant. I just heard that plants in pots don't allow the soil to expand/contract with the freeze and thaw conditions, and are therefore more at risk to receiving damage from colder temperatures. I had also considered burying the pot itself into the ground to sort of insulate it more, but it's a good sized pot, and I already have space issues in my tiny garden.

My only option to bring it inside where cats can't get to it would be my basement, which should be warm enough through the winter, but there is barely any natural light, and knowing me, with it being out of sight I would completely forget to water it. I'm thinking I'll just leave it as is and see how it fares; I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back in the spring. And if not, I always know where I can transplant some more next year :). It's been great this past year for garnish in food and helps make a delicious mojito!

Reaction score
From what I have seen mint is really tough. Our got a bit dry during the winter months, but during the hot months it started to go back to normal and made such a great recovery during that time. I'd not be to worried over your mint, but if you are in doubt just cover it with plastic. That always does it for me,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have some chocolate mint in a 6 inch or so diameter pot that is currently on my front porch that I transplanted from a field where it grows abundantly. I'd like to keep it through the winter, but cannot bring it inside due to poor lighting through my windows and more importantly, cats that strive to eat any living plant I bring inside the house. Will the mint survive in the pot through the winter?

I know it is pretty hardy in the ground, and because I live in a rental property, I am hesitant to just plant it in the yard. Would keeping some straw at the base help to insulate it? I live in upstate NY and we have already had a few below freezing nights, once with frost even, and so far it seems to be pretty healthy.

I'm fairly new to gardening and have been experimenting with a few different plants this year, and the mint has been a real success, and as such I'd like to keep it without having to transplant again.
It survives outside in that field.
It will die back in the winter and regrow next spring.

Ask a Question