Potted lemon tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm always seeing in magazines small citrus trees in pots. Does anyone know what variety of lemon would be best for this and how big exactly does the pot need to be? Like, would a half whiskey barrel be sufficient? I would love a lemon tree but I don't have many spots for more fruit trees and my kids really want an apple and a peach so I was hoping I could do a potted lemon. I had planted a "dwarf" lemon tree at our previous house that kept growing taller then the house and the lemons were gigantic. I don't know if it didn't stay small because it was in the ground or if maybe there aren't really lemon trees that stay small, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm always seeing in magazines small citrus trees in pots. Does anyone know what variety of lemon would be best for this and how big exactly does the pot need to be? Like, would a half whiskey barrel be sufficient? I would love a lemon tree but I don't have many spots for more fruit trees and my kids really want an apple and a peach so I was hoping I could do a potted lemon. I had planted a "dwarf" lemon tree at our previous house that kept growing taller then the house and the lemons were gigantic. I don't know if it didn't stay small because it was in the ground or if maybe there aren't really lemon trees that stay small, lol.
Even "dwarf" trees are actually trees. They just don't get quite as big. A half whiskey barrel would be great for a few years if you keep the tree/bush trimmed and pruned. The huge lemons would be either Ponderosa or Myers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I don't think there is any difference between normal tree and a bonsai(dwarf) tree.

Normal tree gets space for spreading its legs and stand tall while Bonsai are the tree that remain in sitting position on a small box with low ceiling.:D

Just repeated chopping the tap root and replant the tree will make it bonsai.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Meyers lemon tree are small growing to about 5 ft. tall in a pot, and do well if you keep the watered and fed. They will fruit for you and the lemon is on the sweet side so you can eat it like a orange.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
2.jpg
1.jpg

I've included 2 pictures of a dwarf lemon tree, most bushy and full, and it's baby brother, a micro lemon taken from the dwarf a couple of years ago. The larger dwarf is in a 50cm pot, is around 4 years years old, and produces beautiful fruit. The micro lemon is still very young and not producing. I'm not sure what types they are.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 554
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I don't think there is any difference between normal tree and a bonsai(dwarf) tree.

Normal tree gets space for spreading its legs and stand tall while Bonsai are the tree that remain in sitting position on a small box with low ceiling.:D

Just repeated chopping the tap root and replant the tree will make it bonsai.
Great definition of a bonsai Rajesh. They can look so magnificent though despite being contained.

Ask a Question