Potted drift rose over winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in zone 6B. I have a healthy potted drift rose that survived my in experience and Asian beetles this year. I would like to keep it alive over the winter. I've read all types of things from burlap wraps to burying the pot or moving it indoors.

Right now it's between to larger bushes and it's on the east side of my house. I don't really have anywhere else to put it and let it get good Sun.

Its still blooming and there are a decent amount of buds on it. On one side the leaves are starting to get spotted.

Should I heavily trim it back or let it go?

I don't really want to spend to much money on buying a great house or heat lamps or anything like that. I just put another layer of mulch over the pot. I know I shouldn't give it a nutrient boost like I have been all summer (old fish tank water)

Any opinions??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is your approximate minimum temperature over winter @Midwestnoob and do you get much snow?
I will hit subzero temps maybe a dozen times. Snow comes or goes. Can never really tell. Sometimes all we get is a dusting or an inch at a time. We do get plenty of ice build up. My area is more prone to inches of ice than it is for snow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Is it possible to move the pot to an unheated area like a garage, or cellar? I think the ice will do more damage than snow. The subzero temps would be ameliorated by the shelter of a garage, etc.
If you can't move the pot, try putting bags of leaves all around it, and building a teepee frame of boards, sturdy limbs, whatever comes handy over the rose to keep the ice from building up on it. Leave gaps for air circulation, however.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it possible to move the pot to an unheated area like a garage, or cellar? I think the ice will do more damage than snow. The subzero temps would be ameliorated by the shelter of a garage, etc.
If you can't move the pot, try putting bags of leaves all around it, and building a teepee frame of boards, sturdy limbs, whatever comes handy over the rose to keep the ice from building up on it. Leave gaps for air circulation, however.
I have a garage but there's no natural light in there. Won't the lack of light kill the plant?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When a plant goes dormant and drops its leaves, it stops photosynthesizing, so lack of light is not a problem. Some plants get buried in snow for several months, and come out green and happy in the spring.
We used to live in upstate NY, and many of our perennials didn't see the light of day for two or three months (snow cover, y'know!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When a plant goes dormant and drops its leaves, it stops photosynthesizing, so lack of light is not a problem. Some plants get buried in snow for several months, and come out green and happy in the spring.
We used to live in upstate NY, and many of our perennials didn't see the light of day for two or three months (snow cover, y'know!).
Wow. Ok. So should I trim the rose back or just let the leaves fall off naturally before moving it indoor?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'd let nature take her course and the rose leaves fall off as the plant goes dormant. Usually I prune roses in early spring, just when the first growth (little red nubbins on the stems) starts to appear. Pruning before the plant goes dormant may encourage new growth, which will get frost-bitten. Of course, any cane that looks diseased or damaged can be taken off now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I forgot to add, give the potted rose a drink once a month while in shelter. You don't want the soil to be too damp, but watering will keep the roots happy. Just make the first three, four inches of soil damp. The water will filter down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm in 6a some times 6b, I have potted rose that I just move to the garage and others that just stay out all winter, we can get up to 10" or more snow in just one storm and I've never had any problems with them. But if you feel better move them to a shelter. Water as maringgardener says. they should be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Fernsdaddy is right--snow is a great insulator (just ask a polar bear!). If you are dealing with really low temperatures and ice, cover is best. If you get lots of snow--Mother Nature is taking care of your rose!

Ask a Question