Potted Balsam

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi!

I'm very new to gardening and since I live in a high rise building, I can only do pots. Currently I have several plants that I grow in pots, balsam plants (impatiens) being the most successful. I understand they are annuals.

I started planting from seeds in early November last year and they started blooming in early January this year. A couple weeks ago they stopped blooming for a while (no flowers at all) even though I saw a lot of "buds" which I now think are actually the pods. I thought they had completed their cycle but then they started blooming again. I also notice that some of the pods have burst.

My question is:

1) What do you do with potted annuals once they have completed their cycle?
2) How do you know if they have completed their cycle? (I live in Singapore, we don't get four seasons here)
3) Lastly, any tips on growing lush balsam? I've seen some pics on the net where the flowers grow very dense (however, they are planted on the ground)

Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Once a annual has finished its cycle you can cut it down and dry the seeds and store for next year. How one knows its finished is when the seeds are well formed and dark colored and the leaves have started to fade or fall off.
Balsams are best grown from seeds. Use rich moist soil to sow the seeds. Balsams do well in full to partial sun or partial shade. When grown in containers make sure the soil remains moist at all times but not waterlogged. Good luck

Ask a Question