POTM January 2020 Winner

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulation to @Sheal for winning the January 2020 Photo of the Month competition! :D

sheal-jpg.60170

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I got hooked on the outlander series on netflix and it made me want to go visit the lands of stone castles again. Your picture does the same for me! Good picture!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A great picture Sheal; very well done and congratulations. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done Sheal and well done to all who took part :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone for your kind words. :)

I got hooked on the outlander series on netflix and it made me want to go visit the lands of stone castles again. Your picture does the same for me

I'm also hooked on Outlander. Still waiting for Diana Gabaldon's latest book release and the new televised series in February.

Castle Leod (pronounced Loud) above is in the village of Strathpeffer not far from where I live. In the grounds there is a Spanish Sweet Chestnut tree planted for Mary of Guise, Mary Queen of Scots mother in 1550.

283 Sweet Chestnut Tree.JPG

284.JPG

285.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your kind words. :)

I'm also hooked on Outlander. Still waiting for Diana Gabaldon's latest book release and the new televised series in February.

Castle Leod (pronounced Loud) above is in the village of Strathpeffer not far from where I live. In the grounds there is a Spanish Sweet Chestnut tree planted for Mary of Guise, Mary Queen of Scots mother in 1550.

View attachment 60348

View attachment 60349

View attachment 60350
Am I reading that right? 35 ft around the base? My next door neighbor had the largest oaks in the county and I could believe some big numbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you are reading it right. 35ft around the base. It may be bigger now, that plaque as you can see is quite old and faded. I've just been checking out the tree's measurements, and more up to date sizing states that it's closer to 28ft girth. Perhaps I should go back and measure it myself. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes you are reading it right. 35ft around the base. It may be bigger now, that plaque as you can see is quite old and faded. I've just been checking out the tree's measurements, and more up to date sizing states that it's closer to 28ft girth. Perhaps I should go back and measure it myself. :)
It was humbling to see the sheer size of the old oaks here when they finally collapsed about 10 years apart. Charlie has a mexican fellow who helps him since (then) he was in his 80s and it took ever' 2 weeks to cut up the biggest one once the storm broke it over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's amazing to think how many years of history these old trees have grown through and sad to see their demise. If only they could speak, they'd have a lot of tales to tell.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Congratulation to @Sheal for winning the January 2020 Photo of the Month competition! :D

sheal-jpg.60170
superbly framed!

the elegance of the scenery blends the art of man and nature in a timeless beauty.
very serene, and you can almost see the stillness.

Ask a Question