POTM February 2017 Winner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@Beverly
"and Bob's your uncle" is used at the end of a statement meaning 'and it's that easy' (as a way of getting a result). Similar to "it's a done deal" or the French "Voila!"

It's supposed to relate back to the nepotism that occurred when the Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury (Robert Arthur Cecil - or 'Bob' for short) appointed his nephew Arthur Balfour as Minister for Ireland although people thought he wasn't suited for the job. As it happened, he did the job very well and became Prime Minister after his uncle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@Beverly
"and Bob's your uncle" is used at the end of a statement meaning 'and it's that easy' (as a way of getting a result). Similar to "it's a done deal" or the French "Voila!"

It's supposed to relate back to the nepotism that occurred when the Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury (Robert Arthur Cecil - or 'Bob' for short) appointed his nephew Arthur Balfour as Minister for Ireland although people thought he wasn't suited for the job. As it happened, he did the job very well and became Prime Minister after his uncle.
Thanks Bootsy. Interesting. Next time i use that one I'll have a deeper understanding of where it comes from. And i do use the "knickers in a twist" one quite a bit....not that i EVER get my knickers in a twist over anything:confused:!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@Beverly

Thanks Bootsy. Interesting. Next time i use that one I'll have a deeper understanding of where it comes from. And i do use the "knickers in a twist"
This was the pic I won with Winter of 2016 . View attachment 16517

been wanting to make a Christmas card out of this one, kinda of a funny saying, but just can't find the right words.
Congratulations Esther. Great photos, bith winners. I can't actually imagine the cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@DeborahJane , I actually love the cold, its crispy, nice to me. If you dress accordingly. and you prepare your car all is well. I actually walk outside often in just sandals, only a few mins. but, its nice for me. Not a warm climate person, now that bothers me.

Ask a Question