Pothos not growing

SunshineAndSoil

Animal Lover
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a couple pothos plants, and they don't seem to be growing. They don't look like there's anything wrong with them, but....... they just look the same. Do pothos grow really slowly? Pictures later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Most houseplants like to be some what pot bound. Too often new plant parents (or growers) often put their plants in too large of pots which encourages root growth at the expense of foliage growth. Since the pandemic growers have been upsizing the pots for plants they are selling.

SunshineAndSoil

Animal Lover
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Most houseplants like to be some what pot bound. Too often new plant parents (or growers) often put their plants in too large of pots which encourages root growth at the expense of foliage growth. Since the pandemic growers have been upsizing the pots for plants they are selling.
I don't think it's too big, though. If anything too small. I'll go grab a picture.
Key question; how long have you had it/them?
Since mid-spring of 2020.

SunshineAndSoil

Animal Lover
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Judging by the amount of soil visible, they ARE over-potted. Though, at this point it's better to leave them as they are and be patient. How much light do they get? A plant in very bright light will grow significantly faster than one in lower light. From the looks of them, they could use lots more light.

SunshineAndSoil

Animal Lover
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Judging by the amount of soil visible, they ARE over-potted. Though, at this point it's better to leave them as they are and be patient. How much light do they get? A plant in very bright light will grow significantly faster than one in lower light. From the looks of them, they could use lots more light.
Yeah, our house doesn't have a lot of bright spots. On of the best spots, our dining table, is currently occupied by our poinsettia(which will die without that light). Another spot, which has a medium amount of light, is occupied by a lemon balm plant, because it's next to a rodent's cage and it can't be poisonous. I'll look for better places.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Think about using full spectrum light bulbs in table and floor lamps. Plants like pathos live well under lamps and thrive. Be sure to let the soil dry between waterings. I have found heart leaf philodendron do well with very little light and as long as your home is warm can take over watering. Pathos will rot and not do well under those circumstances. Don’t forget you can hang plants in windows with removable hooks if you have a shortage of table space. All of my windows are filled with hanging plants and extended window sills, but I am a houseplantaholic.

Ask a Question