potatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
this is my 1st year of growing potatoes. I have about 120 plants growing. I pulled 2 up today and got approx 11 lbs. of potatoes.

I have a cool place in basement to store them. can I store the excess potatoes in lidded containers or do the potatoes need air?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
this is my 1st year of growing potatoes. I have about 120 plants growing. I pulled 2 up today and got approx 11 lbs. of potatoes.

I have a cool place in basement to store them. can I store the excess potatoes in lidded containers or do the potatoes need air?

thanks in advance
Did you weigh the potatoes? Eleven pounds is remarkable if not a guess.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Storing potatoes requires: 1) cool, dark , dry location, 2) air circulation 3) potatoes never touching each other in storage and never washed until ready to use. We keep reds this way for several months clear up to the next harvest.

Over my many years of growing potatoes, I've arrived at a measure of production as the ratio of pounds of new potatoes harvested to the number of pounds of seed potatoes used. A production ratio of 10 is our average over the last 40 years or so...some years higher, some years lower but averages out to about 10 pounds of harvest per pound of seed.

Sounds like you are looking at a good harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I will take pics of the rest I pull. what is an average yield per plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Storing potatoes requires: 1) cool, dark , dry location, 2) air circulation 3) potatoes never touching each other in storage and never washed until ready to use. We keep reds this way for several months clear up to the next harvest.

Over my many years of growing potatoes, I've arrived at a measure of production as the ratio of pounds of new potatoes harvested to the number of pounds of seed potatoes used. A production ratio of 10 is our average over the last 40 years or so...some years higher, some years lower but averages out to about 10 pounds of harvest per pound of seed.

thank you. appreciate it . so air circulation is key. my fear is mice. I have caught mice in the basement. was hoping I could store in lidded containers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States

so odds are the rest of plants will not harvest as much? 5lb per plant seems like alot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

This measurement is not accurate. Size of the seed potato is paramount. I have thirty plants and will measure by weight each plants production. Experience has indicated that 4 to 8 pounds is about normal. Closer to 4 is more typical.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
This measurement is not accurate. Size of the seed potato is paramount. I have thirty plants and will measure by weight each plants production. Experience has indicated that 4 to 8 pounds is about normal. Closer to 4 is more typical.
you weigh each plants lbs? that is amazing. I have to step my game up

Ask a Question