Potatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I planted potatoes about 2 weeks ago and nothing still. I'm worried because I read about a week after I planted them that if you cut them before you plant them that you're supposed to let them sit out and harden a little to prevent rotting. I obviously didn't do that (this was my first time and I was just going off instructions I found on Pinterest). I don't want to dig them up to check on them if they're on the verge of coming up. Should they have come up by now? How long should I wait before I check on them? If they rotted can I just dig them up and plant new ones or should something be done with the soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I planted potatoes about 2 weeks ago and nothing still. I'm worried because I read about a week after I planted them that if you cut them before you plant them that you're supposed to let them sit out and harden a little to prevent rotting. I obviously didn't do that (this was my first time and I was just going off instructions I found on Pinterest). I don't want to dig them up to check on them if they're on the verge of coming up. Should they have come up by now? How long should I wait before I check on them? If they rotted can I just dig them up and plant new ones or should something be done with the soil?
Just to set your mind at ease dig one up. When I plant potatoes I usually cut them and let them dry 3 or 4 days and then dust them in sulfur. I have alkaline soils is why I use the sulfur. Many folks just dust them with wood ashes. Others don't do anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
2 whole weeks?????????
Sorry, I shouldn't be sarcastic.
Just wait. It's too early to worry.

lol. I've never grown them before! When I plant a seed of anything else it's up in that time. But this makes me feel better. I'll give it another week and then dig one up if they haven't done anything by then.

Ask a Question