Potatoes shelf life.

Reaction score
Assuming I'm buying a sack of potatoes from a farm shop in April, in the UK. How long should I expect them to last, and what would be the best way to store them? I had a bag go off after about 6 days and I was a little short, and that it was probably due to my poor storage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's best to keep potatoes in a cool dark place, ideally not in a plastic bag. If you find that they are reaching the end of their life before you have eaten them all then you could cook them and freeze them? Mash freezes brilliantly, and you could also bake the potatoes and then freeze them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you keep potatoes cool and dark and in a material in which they can breathe, as posted above, 9 months.

Many on our allotments are still eating last year's potatoes.

Reaction score
Cool and dark is the way to go and make sure that there is not too much moisture in the space that they will be in. I put them in the bottom shelf in the fridge and they do fine for quite awhile.

Ask a Question