Potatoes ready or rotten?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unsure if these potato vines have died back because the potatoes are ready or because too much rain fell into the growbag on my balcony and they rotted? Shouldn't the natural die back show yellow leaves? My leaves didn't turn yellow and die back, they're still dark green.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-14 at 16.07.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-14 at 16.07.05.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dibble! Poke your finger down into the bag, see if there is a potato and pull it up. Baby potatoes! You'll be able to tell if the potatoes are edible or rotted.
We plant in the ground, and when the leaves start to turn yellow, I dibble. There are always a few green leaves on the plant when we dig the crop, but we still have several sizes of potatoes from babies to baking size.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unsure if these potato vines have died back because the potatoes are ready or because too much rain fell into the growbag on my balcony and they rotted? Shouldn't the natural die back show yellow leaves? My leaves didn't turn yellow and die back, they're still dark green.
You haven't got much to lose, just get them out and see.

Ask a Question