Potatoes in a pot

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
Hello friends, i am new on this forum, and technically new to gardening as whole..
In my several attempts to grow everything i can at home.. i had some potatoes that sprouted after some weeks left cooked.. so i read a bit and cut them in half and planted them in a pot with new soil, thought i'd try..
Attached two pictures of how they have been growing in the past 3 weeks ..
I am not sure if i am so lucky and good at taking care of plants or this is a regular pace of growth..
The thing is now they need a bigger pot for sure as you can see..
Having zero experience with root vegetables, and not finding enough information online, here i am seeking help.
My question is: How do i repot without killing the plant?
When to harvest and how?
Any help is appreciated..
Thanks

Attachments

• October 23.jpeg
    October 23.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.03.41 AM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.03.41 AM.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 108

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Those look to be severely overcrowded. Soak them, remove everything from the pot intact, and then place in a much larger space. Better if they are in garden soil but if you must put them back in a pot, then get the largest you can find and consider culling down to one plant, the healthiest one. If your luck continues, you may get a few spuds off this after a time when the one plant blooms and the dies back. However it will likely never produce like a starter set.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
Thank you for your reply, i will try to re-pot them in 3 different pots..
But how do i re-pot them without ruining them?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Just be very careful with the roots and of course keep the "slip" with each plant. When transplanted make it deep or slightly deeper than now, not shallow. Be very gentle and it should work...but don't expect a bumper crop.

Ask a Question