Potatoe Shoots

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

I have a planter measuring 500mm x 1000mm.
I divide it into four spacings for vegetables.

Last year, I grew potatoes in one of the spacings, I thought I harvested them all, but four new shoots have sprouted. Should I transfer these shoots to ensure the prevention of blight?

Should I keep these sprouts or remove and rotate the crop?

Thanks in Advance.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy Greenkeeper. That's a good question. When I've had that happen it's generally because a very small tuber escaped my eyes (no pun intended) during harvest. Those small tubers just don't have enough stored energy to do much other than send up shoots. So, I remove them.

Your case may or may not be similar... i.e. maybe you missed a larger tuber when harvesting and hence might have a better chance at producing something. If you have need for that space for a productive veggie, I would remove it.

Alternatively, you could companion plant some peas if the climate is right in that space and see how it turns out. The peas will provide much needed nutrients to the spuds and produce a crop while at it. I companion plant them regularly. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Good Evening Meadowlark,
Thank you for your detailed response.
Yes a tuber must have been missed.

I like the idea of companion planting, I've been told marigolds are great for veg patches.

Companion planting peas sound like a great idea, I would prefer to remove the spuds from the planter and transfer to a large container, but planting peas with them sounds like a good idea too.
I'm airing on the side of caution as the first time I ever grew potatoes, I watered the leaves heavily resulting in blight. Hard lesson learned but its all part of the process of learning in my opinion!

Thanks again for your input.

Ask a Question