Potato patch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We planted our chitted potatoes in mid-February, and they are doing well. I'm hoping for a good harvest to eat, share with friends, and even save a few. In the photo, the first row is turnips, but the other rows are Yukon Gold and Red LaSoda potatoes.
potato patch.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:) Everything looks healthy and happy.

I have a feeling you are going to drop a few potatoes in people's opened car windows this year! :ROFLMAO: :D

I have never grown potatoes. :unsure: When do you hill up the dirt around them? Have you had to water them, or are you getting spring rains in TX?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When you're ready to eat the first new potatoes, have the water boiling, mint and butter ready before you dig em up. Quicker you get them in the pan after digging, the better the taste :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, we don't hill our potatoes. I was told by a very experienced gardener to dig a trench about 6"-8" deep, plant the chitted potatoes and cover with about 2" of soil, and when the greenery emerged, fill in the trench. It's a lot easier than trying to hill under the foliage. We haven't had to water them--March and April here can be relied on for rain. No potato tossing in car windows--new potatoes are the one vegetable we grow too much of, but never have trouble getting rid of!
Zigs, that sounds like what we do with sweet corn (minus the mint). When I go out to dibble for new potatoes, I'll use your method, substituting parsley for the mint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh Zigs, that`s definitely not very English is it :rolleyes: mint and butter, mint and butter :sneaky:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's the Texan way Tetters :D

Incidentally, over here we call "hilling" earthing up or photoshopping :)

Just been earthing mine up with the coarse bits from the compost sieving :)
DSCI0005 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a serious chance that I might earn the same naughty title as you appear to have zigs, and I'm as innocent as a baby. ..:sneaky: :rolleyes:
I do know a fair bit about earthing up, grandad taught me when I was about 4 , and I worked on the spud fields for a few years too, which would be the reason I tend to walk a bit doubled up , like an ape. :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who "reuses, repurposes"! I noticed your yellow tub seems to have a crack down the side--but it still is great for growing potatoes. Our tomato trellises are a mix of old window/door bars (the previous owners of this place were either paranoid or had serious problems with the neighbors o_O) and parts of fencing called Handi-panels.
My husband refuses to let me to to the dump because I come home with more than I left with. The things folks throw away, like a perfectly good chicken waterer. After scrubbing and disinfecting, the ladies now have two waterers and I have to give them water only half as often.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There is a serious chance that I might earn the same naughty title as you appear to have zigs, and I'm as innocent as a baby. ..:sneaky: :rolleyes:
I do know a fair bit about earthing up, grandad taught me when I was about 4 , and I worked on the spud fields for a few years too, which would be the reason I tend to walk a bit doubled up , like an ape. :unsure:

It's ok Tetters, it's not naughty to have worked on a spud farm :) I worked on a mushroom farm :)

Zigs, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who "reuses, repurposes"! I noticed your yellow tub seems to have a crack down the side--but it still is great for growing potatoes. Our tomato trellises are a mix of old window/door bars (the previous owners of this place were either paranoid or had serious problems with the neighbors o_O) and parts of fencing called Handi-panels.
My husband refuses to let me to to the dump because I come home with more than I left with. The things folks throw away, like a perfectly good chicken waterer. After scrubbing and disinfecting, the ladies now have two waterers and I have to give them water only half as often.

That tub is my old plastering tub, i'll reuse anything if I can :)

The mint is in another old tub with the bottom cut out and the watercress is in an old plastic log effect fire cover :)
DSCI0004 (1).JPG

Ask a Question