Potato Harvest

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I normally like to wait another week or two to harvest but we have had so much rain and now the threat of rising temps = get them out of the ground before they rot.

I started on Valentines day with 20 pounds of seed potatoes. About April 1 the tops got nipped a little from a late freeze and that curtailed production somewhat.

The harvest came in at over 200 pounds and better than 10 pounds per new potato per seed.

What to do with 200 pounds of potatoes? I like to separate out the "bakers" from the "cookers". Many of the "bakers" this year came in over 1 pound.
baking potatoes 2019.JPG

The "bakers" I will put in crisper storage.

baking potatoes 2 2019.JPG

The "cookers" we canned about 25% and put the rest in dry storage. Canned new potatoes are fabulous in winter soups and fried for breakfast.

canned otatoes 2019.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Wow! And I repeat "Wow!" You have a great harvest there.
I know what you mean about the rain--we are keeping an eye on our potatoes to see if we need to harvest early.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks...its a gamble on gain vs loss on waiting. I've lost much of past crops to rot and come down on the side of early out rather than risk it. In our humidity I've seen them rot in a matter of a couple of days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Been thinking of digging mine out as well. Really need to get a pressure canner and up my preserving game (guess I should see what the harvest looks like first though!!!) I do love fried taters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That's great.
Tell me more about canning potatoes please, as last year's are past their best now.
Your new potatoes are different to ours in the UK.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That's great.
Tell me more about canning potatoes please, ...

Well, we pretty much just go by the canning book. Clean, peel, clean, cut up ones too large for jars (but we like to use the small ones for canning saving the larger ones as "bakers". Sometimes we add fresh jalapenos but ours aren't ready yet. Carrots also add a little color to the jar.

Its a really good way to extend the useful life of the spuds especially if you also grow onions and safe storage becomes a premium.

Ask a Question