potato anomaly

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all.
New member here. first post.
I planted potatoes this spring and some of them are starting to sprout from the new tubers that are underground. lots of marble sized tubers and most of them are shooting sprouts up to the surface.
Anyone seen that before? and what could be the cause.
These potatoes are in raised beds my green house,..I grew them in there before.
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Bison

Really not sure what you mean from your description. Maybe you could post a photo please??

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No pic, i chucked the plant already .
I'll try to explain in another way.
after the seed potatoes had come up with 2-3-4 shoots that formed the canopy i noticed a couple days ago that a lot of new shoots were coming up all around the main stems. Upon investigating i noticed that the new baby potatoes (which is a normal result of the potato growing process) themselves had sprouted while they are still attatched to the main plant, each and every one is now trying to form their own canopy and there are lots of these little buggers doing that

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, @zigs and I have just been talking about this problem, and cannot come up with an answer. We are hoping that someone else on the forum - like @headfullofbees - or @Chuck might have some idea :unsure:........:geek::geek:

In the meantime @Bison I hope you have a good supply of pasta ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies guys.
Its no big deal really ,i have another couple hundred plants that are doing fine both in the greenhouse and outside.
I was just curious why these 4 or 5 plants would behave like that.
As for to hot!. We didn't have had much of a summer here , it's been raining every other day and mainly overcast since the end of may.
There's actually another problem i,ve been having and that is earth worms. I never saw that many earthworms in my 70 years on this planet. Earthworms by the many thousands allover the garden and the lawn. they're killing patches of the grass and have pushing the beans and the carrots,beets right out of the ground. Apart from the potatoes and onions there's not much going to be harvested. The whole garden is covered in a 1 1/2 layer of worm castings.
Anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon it`s the same thing with moles - they come up to the surface when it`s very wet - to eat the worms, and make all that ruddy mess....
1595710262133.png
aha! Maybe you could get some moles. I suppose the worms will have made your soil too rich, which would burn the plants. Maybe when the weather dries up a bit things will return to normal.
There are plenty of worms here, but it`s been a dry summer again ...and there we have another problem :rolleyes:

Ask a Question