Post office suggestion.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our local post office ceased trading just before Christmas meaning a five mile round trip to our nearest post office.

I've emailed Morrisons Supermarkets this morning suggesting they open a post office in their stores; I was amazed by the quick response this being a phone call thanking me for my email saying my suggestion has been put forward and will be looked into.

I don't know of any supermarket having a post office within their store? It was just an idea so I thought I'd pass the idea on; if I have a problem I like to find a solution; I'll be interested to see if this catches on? (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nothing like taking the bull by the horns, @Colin!

Our post office is 6 miles away, but the one in the next town is only 1 mile, so I use that one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think that is a great idea. It would eliminate any upkeep of a building for the post office. Grocery stores already have receiving areas for trucks and a Post Office would mean increased traffic through the stores doors. Because it is such a good idea and could save money, it will never happen in the United States. :mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have seen, when younger, post offices in stores, also there are still some stores that can sell you postage stamps. But we have several delivery ports to go to around me. Besides the post office, there is the UPS place, and then a thing called "Mail and More" they offer, UPS, Federal Express and Post Office in one place.

But while we are on the subject of mailing things, seems that Europe does not have "book rate" . A cheaper rate if its books mailed places, in the USA we do. Have had to mail a few items oversees, one of which is considered "books".

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There's post offices within a few of our local village shops around here :)

Thanks zigs; yes we too have a post office in a general store/off licence ours at Grange Moor but I don't recall ever seeing a post office in a supermarket or have I missed something? I don't visit Tesco; Sainsbury's or Asda so I'm unfamiliar with what services these supermarkets offer?

Sorry if I've confused you roadrunner; "ceased trading" is a common term for yet another business closing down; our local post office also sold gifts like jewelry; greetings cards and handbags etc.

Thanks Silentrunning. I don't want local post offices to close but unfortunately we no longer have our local post office whereas if our local supermarket opened a post office instore it would be very convenient indeed and as you rightly say the infrastructure is already in place also our local Morrison's has far better car parking than any nearby post office.

Thanks Esther; yes our supermarkets also sell stamps and our local Morrison's has even a post box located in store. Many thanks for adding the link to the smallest post office which is interesting. One of our small local stores has "My Hermes" where parcels can be dropped off and I've used this service a number of times in fact My Hermes will also collect parcels from our home.

A major problem I find with our post office is the way they now accept envelopes; I need a micrometer to measure thickness and a tape measure to determine size whilst I also need a set of weighing scales; then of course comes both first and second class post which truly baffles me. Second class means the post office hanging onto mail rather than simply getting rid of it as quickly as they can; I was in distribution for 24 years and my job was to despatch goods as fast as I possibly could not play around hanging onto goods? Bron's hobby is card making so when I post these cards for Bron I hand them over the counter at a post office to have them weighed and checked for both thickness and size; modern life is so complicated for dinosaurs such as I?

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of villages have grocery stores incorporating the post offices in this country. When you buy milk, you post your letters .. That's how it goes here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Colin
We have a post office not far away in Asda at Cramlington which is always very busy as its a shopping centre as well.
Opening Hours of Post Office Cramlington - Cramlington (Northumberland), Cramlington Asda Superstore, Manor Walk Shopping Centre, Cramlington.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I can buy stamps at our local grocery, but to mail anything I have to visit our local post office. Since the town nearest us is also the county seat, we are unlikely to lose postal service. Our rural carrier will pull into the driveway if she has a package for us, ring our doorbell, and hand us our our package.
Our local post office is so tuned into patron's needs. When we were getting new queen bees through the post, they called at 6 a.m. to let me know the buzzing package arrived and I could pick it up at the back door since they weren't officially open until 8 a.m. I don't know if that was customer consideration, or just wanting to get rid of a buzzing package!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your information Zenj. (y) It's years since I visited an Asda supermarket but I'm unsure if they had a post office or indeed have a post office now; Asda though did have a pharmacy; opticians and photo lab.

Your postal service sounds first class marlingardner; I'm not sure if our postal service would touch anything alive but I could be wrong in fact there are restrictions on items we can post; being the UK government thankfully the list is short as seen here;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/contents

Here's the shorter list;

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-what-can-i-send

We can usually hear our regular postman before we see him; he arrives on the street with his mobile phone blaring out on speaker. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin: it's a good idea to suggest a clean and beautiful shop which cheers you up to the post office headquarters.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a post office not far away in Asda at Cramlington which is always very busy as its a shopping centre as well.

What a small world, that's the town I grew up in! I used to live in Beaconhill, very close to that Asda!

Ask a Question