Popular plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi iam thinking of selling plants at a market stall /car boot _ just wondering if there anyone will to pass any tips on which plants to sell and any general info thanks alot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Succulents seem to be popular among young people, but at the same time I see a good amount of regular stores carrying them where I live. I think they are easy to propagate. Something I recently tried doing was growing morning glories in a pot for indoors, I notice they do this in japan but I don't see it much elsewhere. Mine didn't turn out real healthy but japan manages to sell tons of them during Iriya Asagao festivals. They sure are pretty, my clark's heavenly blue bloomed today and it looks amazing. I've also always had it in my head that Japanese maples sell well, but I'm not sure how much that depends on where you're at.

As a person who is a plant enthusiast, here's what I'd probably find myself buying: Carnivorous plants, herbal plants, (can't go wrong with lavender), interesting indoor plants. On esty there's a shop called Unusual seeds, I'm not sure if it's reliable. But I want to point out that I'd be the kind of person to buy anything like their examples.

Course, many people like gardening simpler with the usual tomato starts, common flowers, and all that.
Based on where I live, if I were to sell... many people here don't think they can garden much in the climate. Usually people just grow wildflowers. So I'd take a chance at cool indoor plants.
I never sold plants before but these are my ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Succulents seem to be popular among young people, but at the same time I see a good amount of regular stores carrying them where I live. I think they are easy to propagate. Something I recently tried doing was growing morning glories in a pot for indoors, I notice they do this in japan but I don't see it much elsewhere. Mine didn't turn out real healthy but japan manages to sell tons of them during Iriya Asagao festivals. They sure are pretty, my clark's heavenly blue bloomed today and it looks amazing. I've also always had it in my head that Japanese maples sell well, but I'm not sure how much that depends on where you're at.

As a person who is a plant enthusiast, here's what I'd probably find myself buying: Carnivorous plants, herbal plants, (can't go wrong with lavender), interesting indoor plants. On esty there's a shop called Unusual seeds, I'm not sure if it's reliable. But I want to point out that I'd be the kind of person to buy anything like their examples.

Course, many people like gardening simpler with the usual tomato starts, common flowers, and all that.
Based on where I live, if I were to sell... many people here don't think they can garden much in the climate. Usually people just grow wildflowers. So I'd take a chance at cool indoor plants.
I never sold plants before but these are my ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Phil. :)

Perennials, particularly herbaceous perennials are popular as they need very little attention. Grasses, Cacti, herbs which includes Lavender of course and young tomato plants always sell well - as Frog mentioned above.

I will point out, in Britain when selling at markets and boot sales from your own plants, it is illegal to label your plants with the variety. Only the species and colour are permitted along with other details like height and spread if you wish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Phil. :)

Perennials, particularly herbaceous perennials are popular as they need very little attention. Grasses, Cacti, herbs which includes Lavender of course and young tomato plants always sell well - as Frog mentioned above.

I will point out, in Britain when selling at markets and boot sales from your own plants, it is illegal to label your plants with the variety. Only the species and colour are permitted along with other details like height and spread if you wish.

Ask a Question