Poppy problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Could you help me please? My poppy heads are going black. It doesn't look like mold however. A couple of the stems have gone black also which meant they could not support the head.

Does anyone know what this could be?
D3D286B8-804F-473A-BCDD-95388D85CF72.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Carol. :) Does the poppy get any sun?

Morning, thank you
Yes it does, most of the day.
Could they be burned?
I don't have a lot of experience with poppies have to say. I bought them last year. The head in the pic burst open yesterday & the petals aren't good. Wilted already.

Carol

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably caused by wet weather. I have a number of oriental poppies and if they get wet at the wrong point then they fail to open, go black etc. I would cut the stem off down near the ground, for neatness. The poppy should produce further flowers as the summer proceeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know, I was thinking exactly the same. Also as I don't have much experience with them, I've been hosing them down of an evening thank you for replying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Nigel, too damp. Poppies prefer dry soil, I'd forget watering them and let nature take over. It would be helpful if you placed your area in your information box (left of posts) please. This will give us a guide to your climate when answering other plant questions. :)

Ask a Question