Poor conditions for a vegetable garden

Reaction score
I want to grow a vegetable garden, but with my backyard consisting of six sweetgum trees, two pine trees, and Alabama red dirt, I'm just not sure how to make it happen. I will also have to guard it against a little bunny and cat that are quite fond of my yard. What tips do you have for growing a vegetable garden in less that perfect conditions?

Reaction score
I have just started gardening, but I would say you should first get a few GOOD books about gardening.

Reaction score
I agree. I am going to have to dig around the shelves at the library tomorrow and see if I can find a few books that will lead me in the right direction!

Reaction score
sounds good! A book I would look for is "the garden primer" it is a great book!!!:D

RoseScience

"Windsong" Dr.. Griffith Buck,
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9 with heavy humidity
Country
United States
Design out what you want it to look like in a year.
I'm afraid it is hard work but your abs will be awesome.
Find out what materials you need to dig into your soil to augment it ! Clay must be worked to be good with the plants. I find this to be back breaking but doable.
Plant quick growing beans as you grow.....watch them gallop.
You can find some materials free - like composed manures and compost other will give you. Railroad ties for terraced beds. Exploded shake, seawood or the goop off the bottom of a koi pond may cost or be free. You are making the richest, most productive soil for your garden for the years to come.
At age 65, I can plan and organize, but good looking young people bring the joy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You could also think about just doing raised beds, then the kind of soil you have isn't as important.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Container and raised beds are a great way to garden with bad ground soil conditions.

If you have any further questions, ask the forum! We can pretty much answer most of your questions here! :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Didn't even notice that. Why are people responding to ancient threads??
I suppose there are a couple reasons. They might have googled something that brought them to the forum in the first place, so they join specifically to comment on that thread, not noticing the date.

Alternatively, they could scroll down to the "Similar threads" found at the bottom of the thread, and not notice the date there, either.

When I open a specific forum, (sub-forum?) I've learned to look for the date under the thread title. ;)

Ask a Question