Ponytail palm with long, tall branching

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all - I came across this houseplant at a nearby bakery and fell in love with it. I learned that it was a ponytail palm and sought to find one like it at nearby nurseries. Unfortunately, each time I found a ponytail palm, they looked short, bulky and frumpy, no matter how big (wide and full) or old the plant was. I’d show this image to the nursery staff and they’d tell me ‘something’ was done special to this one in the photo, or that it was a particular variant of a ponytail palm that they don’t carry. One said it had been “bonzai’d”.

I’ve researched this to no end, and found blogs documenting how to trim off and cauterize the stem to inspire multiple new stems (or branches) around the old stem top. Some blogs even documented the years of growth that ensued. However, even after years had gone by, their new branches stayed short and basically the plant looked short, bushy and frumpy, like it did before; and was not tall, spindly and elegant like the amazing one in my photo.

My question is: how the heck do I get a multiple long-stemmed ponytail palm like this - either buying one or training one to look like this? Thank you!
0CC1C407-0297-4873-B096-83379636A19F.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The height is due to low light environment and the base is due to low-water amounts for many years. The Ponytail Palm's thick, bulbous trunk acts as reservoir, storing water against dry spells which makes it very drought tolerant. If your Ponytail Palm is put in an environment with plenty of light and plenty of water the plant will grow short and fat. The two environmental conditions, plus compact root space with many years of growing you will get what you see.

Ask a Question