Pomegranates

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever grown a pomegranate shrub? This is definitely not a fruit that I am familiar with growing and I was interested in how the fruit is maintained. Also what seasons are best for growing? Any help would be apprciated.

Reaction score
I have no idea! and have never grown them, but I believe this is a tropical or subtropical plant? Even so, if your climate is not suited, you could grow one inside I bet. Now I am curious. Maybe I'll do some online research and get back to you with that, unless somebody here has some practical experience?

What climate do you live in, Elyse? That will make the difference as to whether you can grow these outside or not, I suspect.

Reaction score
We used to have at least five pomegranate plants at my parents home. They require a lot of sun and are not fussy in warm climates. I remember that my father would dig deep into the ground and manure it a couple of times in a year..and that is a;ll the care they got. They were filled with fruits all through the year. I live in a hot sub tropical climate.
I really do not know if it grown well in cold climates.. especially in winter. You could always buy yourself hybrid dwarf plants that can be kept inside and simulate the sub tropical warmth.

Reaction score
I have no idea! and have never grown them, but I believe this is a tropical or subtropical plant? Even so, if your climate is not suited, you could grow one inside I bet. Now I am curious. Maybe I'll do some online research and get back to you with that, unless somebody here has some practical experience?

What climate do you live in, Elyse? That will make the difference as to whether you can grow these outside or not, I suspect.

Thanks Kyla!:)

I live in a hot and humid climate and I love pomegranates but I've never had the opportunity to grow any, and I've never heard of anyone personally having a pomegranate shrub of their own. So, I was just wondering what it took to grow a shrub. That would be awesome if I could grow these in my back yard :D

Reaction score
We used to have at least five pomegranate plants at my parents home. They require a lot of sun and are not fussy in warm climates. I remember that my father would dig deep into the ground and manure it a couple of times in a year..and that is a;ll the care they got. They were filled with fruits all through the year. I live in a hot sub tropical climate.
I really do not know if it grown well in cold climates.. especially in winter. You could always buy yourself hybrid dwarf plants that can be kept inside and simulate the sub tropical warmth.

Thats great because I live in a very warm and humid climate. They sound very low maintenece which I like.:) If I could just plant them and leave the shrubs alone for a while that would be great!

Reaction score
Thats great because I live in a very warm and humid climate. They sound very low maintenece which I like.:) If I could just plant them and leave the shrubs alone for a while that would be great!
Well then , this is the plant for you... :) It is indeed low maintenance, you just need to water regularly, perhaps twice in summer until your plant grows into a manageable bush.
I love pomegranates. It has amazing levels of antioxidants and is indeed considered to be a fruit of fruits in the East.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've just googled this plant and I must say it looks wonderful. I've never seen it in real life because it doesn't grow here but I ate the fruits, you can buy them here almost everywhere and they're so yummy!
Here are the pictures:

Pomegranate%20Seed%20Oil%20&%20Granatum%20Serum.jpg

pomees.JPG

Looking at them makes me hungry:D

Reaction score
It is indeed a beautiful bush when it is in bloom. I cannot decide between a mango and a pomegranate when it comes to my choice for the best fruit.. Both are so juicy and sweet. :D

Ask a Question