Polyscias Fabian

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I think I ID'ed this plant that I received as a gift correctly. Look like it's a Polyscias Fabian. I was growing slowly but fine until I noticed that 2 of the small stems that has a lot of leaves started to bend which is now completely limp. The leaves are still very dark green and healthy with no signs of browning. Any ideas whats happening her and how I can fix it before it's too late? Thanks in advance.

Photo Sep 26, 12 55 21 AM.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this will help. but have a look any way.

Aralia Fabian (Polyscias speices) has a few pests that can cause wilting and a general decline in the plant. Those pests are spider mites, mealybugs and root-knot nematodes. I am ruling out the possibility of mealybugs because – mealybugs are visible to the naked eye and not present in the picture. Spider mites, however, are not visible to the naked eye. You will need a magnifying glass – look at the backside of a wilted leaf and a healthy leaf – if you see activity on the leaf, you have spider mites. In this case, you will need to spray the Aralia Fabian with an insecticide. Your local garden center should have a houseplant spray that is appropriate for this situation. To check for root knot nematodes, you will need to see the roots. Since this plant is grown hydroponically that should be easy. If the roots have a swelled appearance, you probably have nematodes and will need a nemacide. Your local garden center can help you find the right nemacide for this situation.
You will need to trim out any of the dead. When you depose of the dead material; do not put it in your compost pile – put it in the garbage. Clean your pruning shears with a light bleach and water solution after you finish trimming the plant.

Once you have corrected the problem your Aralia Fabian should make a full recovery.

Source http://www.flowershopnetwork.com/blog/aralia-fabian-in-distress-why/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks, I saw that post as well and inspected my plant right away. Did not see anything on or under the leaves. And again, the leaves are healthy and still dark green. The stems are the ones soft and wilted like with can support the leaves like it used to.

I don't know if this will help. but have a look any way.

Aralia Fabian (Polyscias speices) has a few pests that can cause wilting and a general decline in the plant. Those pests are spider mites, mealybugs and root-knot nematodes. I am ruling out the possibility of mealybugs because – mealybugs are visible to the naked eye and not present in the picture. Spider mites, however, are not visible to the naked eye. You will need a magnifying glass – look at the backside of a wilted leaf and a healthy leaf – if you see activity on the leaf, you have spider mites. In this case, you will need to spray the Aralia Fabian with an insecticide. Your local garden center should have a houseplant spray that is appropriate for this situation. To check for root knot nematodes, you will need to see the roots. Since this plant is grown hydroponically that should be easy. If the roots have a swelled appearance, you probably have nematodes and will need a nemacide. Your local garden center can help you find the right nemacide for this situation.
You will need to trim out any of the dead. When you depose of the dead material; do not put it in your compost pile – put it in the garbage. Clean your pruning shears with a light bleach and water solution after you finish trimming the plant.

Once you have corrected the problem your Aralia Fabian should make a full recovery.

Source http://www.flowershopnetwork.com/blog/aralia-fabian-in-distress-why/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddiehah

Latest Threads