Pole bean stimulation

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I seems like my pole bean plants sit there going almost nowhere - until they hit my pole then they go nuts! Anyone else notice this? It is like they "wait" for something to climb. For example my one mound has 2 plants. Both popped up, grew to about 6" high then slowed way down. Growing slowly one finally reached a pole (I built a teepe/tripod) when it did it grew 2 feet in a few days. They other grew maybe an inch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
They tend to grow quite fast once they have found something to climb up. When they've not found something they move around slowly trying to find it.

I grow mine in a different shape but I do have a lot to grow - at least 200 plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have built a framework for them. The canes are crossed at knee height with another cane laid where they crossed and tied in. This allowed the top half of the canes to hang outwards so that the beans also hung out. That way I don't have to go searching in the middle of the tepee.

I have wires, fixed to posts at either end of the structure and the canes are also tied to those (we get extremely heavy winds coming off the fields). I then weave string across the top of the poles and across the wires and they form an overhead network similar to the way they grow overhead vines.

P1230544.JPG

This allows me to grow the beans up the poles and across the network and lets them grow to about 14ft in length. Using tepee grown beans as a control I estimate that I get 40% more crop.

P1210243.JPG

P1210337.JPG

This is two day's crop and I sell them for charity.

P1170886.JPG

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice harvest. I am sure the charity you donate to appreciate your blessing.

Ask a Question