Poisonous plants


Joined
Feb 28, 2014
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Lots of plants are poisonous or even dangerous, but luckily you hardly ever here about them effecting people badly or killing pets (although it does happen of course!). I suppose that makes sense because if the plant was very bad we would never grow it and therefore we only really come into contact with those which are less harmful / cause infrequent problems.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jul 29, 2015
Messages
163
Reaction score
27
Country
Kenya
In my area we only have stinging nettles. It's important to be aware that stings from plants can cause a severe allergic reaction in some people. We do not have any other poisonous tree.
 
Joined
Sep 28, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto
Country
Canada
I live in Canada and we have a lot of poisonous plants here. I have seen American Pokeweed in my garden. It's berries are not poisonous but all the other parts of the plant are dangerous for humans. First I had been really scared of these plants as I didn't know how to identify these plants but then I read this blog on 'How to Identify Poisonous Plants' published by Flowers Canada. This blog helped me to easily identify all the common poisonous plants found in Canada.
Mostly these plants causes stings and sometimes allergies. I haven't found any lethal plants in our area.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
5,377
Reaction score
1,796
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my area we only have stinging nettles. It's important to be aware that stings from plants can cause a severe allergic reaction in some people. We do not have any other poisonous tree.
My grandparents used to say that stinging nettles can cure rheumatism, but I'm not sure if it's true. All I know is that touching nettles is extremely painful;) I like drinking nettle tea though.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jun 22, 2015
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
291
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There is a plant here with poisonous fruits. It is called Tuba-tuba, actually a bush that grows high like mulberry. The fruits are round as big as marbles and hard. I wonder why kids would eat that hard fruit. The sap is poisonous. As proof, there are plenty of incidents when children died from poisoning of that Tuba-tuba fruit. It just grows by itself because people do not plant that bush.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2014
Messages
256
Reaction score
57
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have pokeweed, poison ivy and poison sumac here.
 
Joined
Oct 23, 2015
Messages
28
Reaction score
15
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
When I moved to the southwest I loved my backyard. It looked like a jungle with so many plants growing. One of those plants was called bougainvillea and they lined my entire backyard on three sides. It's a flowering vine and they grew way over 14 feet tall -- they were gorgeous. Picture perfect.

At the time I had two poodles who roamed the backyard at their leisure. They never went near the bougainvillea, which is a good thing. When I decided I was tired of all the maintenance, I had them all cut down. That wasn't an easy process, due to their age and root system.

After they were cut down I learned that plant is mildly toxic to dogs and children if eaten, because it can cause nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Here is a picture from the public domain:
bougainvillea.jpg
 
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
2,008
Reaction score
1,912
Location
Emerald Victoria
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
When I moved to the southwest I loved my backyard. It looked like a jungle with so many plants growing. One of those plants was called bougainvillea and they lined my entire backyard on three sides. It's a flowering vine and they grew way over 14 feet tall -- they were gorgeous. Picture perfect.

At the time I had two poodles who roamed the backyard at their leisure. They never went near the bougainvillea, which is a good thing. When I decided I was tired of all the maintenance, I had them all cut down. That wasn't an easy process, due to their age and ro

After they were cut down I learned that plant is mildly toxic to dogs and children if eaten, because it can cause nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Here is a picture from the public domain:
View attachment 9456
Bougainvillea are spectacular. I tried one when I first starts gardening and it died. I may give it another go as I really didn't take too much notice of planting things in appropriate positions. My criteria was where it would look good which in quite a few instances didn't work of course. I will listen to what it want this time
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
173
Reaction score
122
Location
Adrian MI
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OLEANDER = DEATH!!!

Isn't this picture beautiful. The little boy shows curiosity toward the pretty flowers. The unsuspecting parent has just placed their child literally inches from death!!

hqdefault.jpg


Just touching this plant, any part of it, can cause irritation.

Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat:

Gastrointestinal:

  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting
Heart and blood:

Nervous system:

  • Confusion
  • Death
  • Depression
  • Disorientation
  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Fainting
  • Headache
  • Lethargy
Skin:

 
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
173
Reaction score
122
Location
Adrian MI
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thought I'd add a picture of my Oleander. It's not flowering yet...still a baby. I didn't know how poisonous they were until after I grew a bunch from seed this last April. I noticed some skin irritation after potting them up the first time and researched them.

20151030_183041.jpg
 
Joined
May 4, 2015
Messages
2,443
Reaction score
1,442
Location
Mid Michigan
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One year, when I lived in Colorado, I grew castor bean plants along the front of my house. I don't recall where got them, but they grew incredibly fast, were pretty, and by the end of summer were taller than my one-story house.
By the following year I found out that they were also extremely toxic, a single bean can kill a child if eaten and several can kill a pet. My neighbors had little kids (who would come over to play in my yard) and I had dogs - So I never planted them again.
http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/pow/castor_bean.htm

"Ricin is incredibly toxic. As little as 0.5 mg (the amount contained in several seeds) can kill an adult. One seed can kill a child. We are not the only sensitive animals. Four seeds will kill a rabbit, 5 a sheep, 6 an ox or horse, 7 a pig, 11 a dog, but it takes 80 to kill a duck. Ricin has been investigated for its potential use as an insecticide.

Symptoms of ricin poisoning begin within hours after exposure by ingestion or inhalation. They include stomach irritation, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, abdominal pain, increased heart rate, low blood pressure, profuse sweating, collapse, convulsions, and death within a few days. Victims that do not die in 3 to 5 days usually recover. There is no antidote for ricin poisoning."

Was a cool plant though.
 
Joined
May 18, 2014
Messages
212
Reaction score
59
We have a ton of poisonous plants that are native to California, but I have none in my garden. At least I don't know of any that are in my garden. Majority of the plants I have are edible and the ones that are not, I suppose might not be good to ingest.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jan 30, 2015
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
488
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have many poisonous plants in the yard too, wildly grew and some common ones such as lily of the valley, nightshade, and narcissus too. Lily of the valley is very poisonous to dog, so I have been trying to remove them, but they re-seed themselves every year.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top