Poisonous plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This is a very happy handsome cat called Sam.
image.jpg
When he moved in a year ago and was not so handsome. He is allergic to Wandering Jew which he couldn't resist and was completely bald from middle down. Luckily we don't have it so he can revert back to pin-up status!!!:cool::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There is a plant here called Poinsettia. It has green leaves and red flowers. That flower is actually a symbol of Christmas that is normally used to decorate the Christmas tree. But that plant has a white sap that is not really poisonous but can make you blind. So when you touch the leaves, be careful not to press it for the sap might contaminate your hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
DeborahJane - he's so cute!!! I'm glad his hair grew back:)
Corzhens - thank you for the warning! We have this plant, I had no idea it can make you blind. I'll be more careful now.

Reaction score
Lots of plants are poisonous or even dangerous, but luckily you hardly ever here about them effecting people badly or killing pets (although it does happen of course!). I suppose that makes sense because if the plant was very bad we would never grow it and therefore we only really come into contact with those which are less harmful / cause infrequent problems.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
In my area we only have stinging nettles. It's important to be aware that stings from plants can cause a severe allergic reaction in some people. We do not have any other poisonous tree.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I live in Canada and we have a lot of poisonous plants here. I have seen American Pokeweed in my garden. It's berries are not poisonous but all the other parts of the plant are dangerous for humans. First I had been really scared of these plants as I didn't know how to identify these plants but then I read this blog on 'How to Identify Poisonous Plants' published by Flowers Canada. This blog helped me to easily identify all the common poisonous plants found in Canada.
Mostly these plants causes stings and sometimes allergies. I haven't found any lethal plants in our area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my area we only have stinging nettles. It's important to be aware that stings from plants can cause a severe allergic reaction in some people. We do not have any other poisonous tree.
My grandparents used to say that stinging nettles can cure rheumatism, but I'm not sure if it's true. All I know is that touching nettles is extremely painful;) I like drinking nettle tea though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There is a plant here with poisonous fruits. It is called Tuba-tuba, actually a bush that grows high like mulberry. The fruits are round as big as marbles and hard. I wonder why kids would eat that hard fruit. The sap is poisonous. As proof, there are plenty of incidents when children died from poisoning of that Tuba-tuba fruit. It just grows by itself because people do not plant that bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have pokeweed, poison ivy and poison sumac here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
When I moved to the southwest I loved my backyard. It looked like a jungle with so many plants growing. One of those plants was called bougainvillea and they lined my entire backyard on three sides. It's a flowering vine and they grew way over 14 feet tall -- they were gorgeous. Picture perfect.

At the time I had two poodles who roamed the backyard at their leisure. They never went near the bougainvillea, which is a good thing. When I decided I was tired of all the maintenance, I had them all cut down. That wasn't an easy process, due to their age and root system.

After they were cut down I learned that plant is mildly toxic to dogs and children if eaten, because it can cause nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Here is a picture from the public domain:
bougainvillea.jpg

Ask a Question