Poisonous plants


Joined
May 1, 2014
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
276
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What kind of poisonous plants do you have where you live, if any? I was watching Naked and Afraid the other night and the man and woman were in Mexico trying to survive for 21 days on the beach. The man got the sap from a chechen tree on his skin and it gave him a severe rash and started to burn away at his skin. This was quite scary. It got me to thinking that there are so many poisonous plants I am clueless about so I though I would ask all of you.
 
Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
8,303
Reaction score
9,354
Location
Womenswold, Kent
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You'll find there are poisonous plants everywhere Rosy, weeding my plot I find Spurge, which has a milky sap that you don't wanna get near your eyes, and Hogweed, that has hairs that make your skin blister when it gets exposed to sunlight.
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2015
Messages
606
Reaction score
920
Location
Close to The Garden of England
Hardiness Zone
8b
According to the 'experts' about 30% of plants in a garden are poisonous to some extent! This would include the obvious ones such as nettles and poison ivy which are considered to be weeds. Many of the plants and flowers that you do cultivate can have a deleterious effect, sometimes from the leaves or stems and sometimes from the seeds or bulbs.

None of this should really bother you in the normal course of events. I need to be careful with a lot of things in our garden. We have a lot of Euphorbias and their sap can be an irritant - especially to me. So I wear gloves when handling them as I wouldn't want to be without such lovely plants. I also have to wear gloves and long sleeves when handling tomatoes and zucchini as I'm allergic to the hairs on the leaves.

The most damage I get in my garden is from working with roses and blackberries :). Some of the rose thorns can even penetrate my leather rose gloves and I can't wear gloves when picking blackberries.
 
Joined
Jan 30, 2015
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
488
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in the city so the poisonous plants are few but I have poisonous weed. The nightshade seems to like my yard and growing along the fence. I had to uproot them every year since it is also poisonous for my dog. This year, I haven't seen them coming back yet.
 
Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Messages
3,392
Reaction score
941
This is a hard one, over here we don't really have poisonous mushrooms (or we do?) but we do have a lot poisonous plants that grow in the desert. Some of them can give you a skin reaction if touched, some even kill you if you eat them. To be honest I don't know much about then, but I probably should, because you never know.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
5,377
Reaction score
1,796
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There are many Yew trees in my area, they bear highly poisonous berries. We also have lillies of the valley, Sosnowsky's Hogweed and of course poisonous mushrooms.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
May 4, 2015
Messages
2,443
Reaction score
1,443
Location
Mid Michigan
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Deadly nightshade - for the first time in five years some started growing along the side of my house this spring. I pulled it all up.
Years ago one of my dogs had several instances where her face would swell up, pupils dilated and she got a bit woozy. Nobody could figure it out, vet thought maybe a bee sting but that wouldn't account for the drugged behaviour and dilated pupils. Looking around online I realised she could have been eating some of the deadly nightshade out in the back fields.
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2015
Messages
606
Reaction score
920
Location
Close to The Garden of England
Hardiness Zone
8b
I live in the city so the poisonous plants are few
You'd be surprised at how many of the common plants are poisonous.

For example:

Daffodils are poisonous to animals and humans, but you're unlikely to want to eat them. Dogs are not that choosy and may become quite ill from chewing on them.

Lilies can be very toxic. Once again, humans are unlikely to eat them but the pollen can be an irritant. The pollen is particularly dangerous to cats! So if you have lilies in the house, and you have a cat, you should remove the stamens. (From the lilies, not the cats :LOL:)
 
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1,908
Location
Emerald Victoria
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
When I first started gardening, nigh on 4 years ago now, I was very nervous of poisonous plants and if I knew didn't but them until it was pointed out to me I already had several poisonous plants in my garden. I liked them and wasn't prepared to get rid of them. Now I take it with a grain of salt. Mind you I'll be wary of deadly night shade.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
5,377
Reaction score
1,796
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Daffodils are poisonous to animals and humans, but you're unlikely to want to eat them. Dogs are not that choosy and may become quite ill from chewing on them.
I had no idea that daffodils are poisonous to animals and humans! Thank you for the warning. There are many daffodils in my parents' garden. Fortunately, our dog has never tried to eat them;)
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Mar 24, 2015
Messages
606
Reaction score
920
Location
Close to The Garden of England
Hardiness Zone
8b
Most animals are pretty good at avoiding poisonous plants, especially cats, but young dogs do sometimes nibble them. The danger for cats is some of the pollens that affect them.

Most things in life can be dangerous, you just have to use some natural caution.

Chocolate is poisonous for dogs!
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
5,377
Reaction score
1,796
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Most animals are pretty good at avoiding poisonous plants, especially cats, but young dogs do sometimes nibble them. The danger for cats is some of the pollens that affect them.

Most things in life can be dangerous, you just have to use some natural caution.

Chocolate is poisonous for dogs!
It's always better to be safe than sorry. I'll try to fence off those daffodils. My dog can be quite unpredictable;)
I know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Same goes for grapes and raisins.
 

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
8,303
Reaction score
9,354
Location
Womenswold, Kent
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have problems with fermented grapes and raisins.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1,908
Location
Emerald Victoria
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This is a very happy handsome cat called Sam.
image.jpg
When he moved in a year ago and was not so handsome. He is allergic to Wandering Jew which he couldn't resist and was completely bald from middle down. Luckily we don't have it so he can revert back to pin-up status!!!:cool::LOL:
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2015
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
291
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There is a plant here called Poinsettia. It has green leaves and red flowers. That flower is actually a symbol of Christmas that is normally used to decorate the Christmas tree. But that plant has a white sap that is not really poisonous but can make you blind. So when you touch the leaves, be careful not to press it for the sap might contaminate your hand.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
5,377
Reaction score
1,796
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
DeborahJane - he's so cute!!! I'm glad his hair grew back:)
Corzhens - thank you for the warning! We have this plant, I had no idea it can make you blind. I'll be more careful now.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top