Poisonous plants and compost


Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
I'm not actually sure, if is it safe to put poisonous plants and flowers into the compost.
Basically, if I throw some poisonous plants or flowers to the compost, will the poisons decompose over time or will they remain there after the plants have turned into compost? Is the compost safe for later use?
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Sep 29, 2012
Messages
3,409
Reaction score
1,096
Location
Louisiana
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is a very important question; so far I am not finding any evidence that it is not a good idea to add poisonous plants to the compost bin. Technically oak leaves are poisonous, but they get composted or used as mulch all the time.

Some people on other forums said they avoid stuff like poison ivy, but only because they don't want to handle it and risk getting it on their skin. So, nothing that says not to compost, but I did find what I thought was a useful guide to poisonous plants: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/poisonous-plants-resources/common-poisonous-plants-and-plant-parts/#
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2016
Messages
119
Reaction score
21
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Wow, excellent question. I must sayyI hadn't thought of this but it would be real good to know if we can add these kinds of plants to our composting material list. Also thanks to @ChanellG for the useful link to the poisonous plants info.
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2015
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
291
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm not sure either but I think the poisonous plants wouldn't harm the compost. We have a pointsettia plant which gives red flowers that are good for Christmas decorations. It was confirmed that the white sap of the pointsettia is dangerous to the eyes and can make you blind. Aside from that, the sap is also poisonous. But we toss that trimmings of that plant in the compost bin and we don't notice anything unusual with the compost.
 
Joined
Feb 13, 2016
Messages
301
Reaction score
43
Location
Central
Country
Kenya
I don't think poisonous plants harm compost. Its formation is an exothermic process involving generation of heat energy. Therefore it is a process of biochemical degradation and the poisonous compounds, usually alkaloids are broken into simpler harmless forms.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Dec 6, 2015
Messages
742
Reaction score
1,395
Location
Essex, England
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Walnuts lol I Know they are not poisonous to us but they contain ,Juglone a natural aromatic compound which is toxic to some plants.

Another I'd leave out would be Japanese not-weed You can eat it but burn the wast as it spreads like know other plant I know & can even damage foundations of houses here in England & you can be find £1000s for dumping it in the local tip
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top