Poison Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Just read abkut this garden in Alnwick. It includes deadly nightshade, strychnine,poison hemlock and more.

Jolly garden for those who can't afford a divorce!

Anyone else read about quirky themed gardens?

Lori

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool :)

Would only take a few minutes in most gardens to find something to kill someone with though. I could find some seeds so small you wouldn't even notice them on your cracker, or some mushrooms that would kill you 17 days later

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Many edible plants have poisonous look-a-likes. However, I want to know more about this mushroom that kills you 17 days later? What could metabolize so slowly?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hahaha yes true a good idea for a cheap divorce! I wonder who would grow these and why? Perhaps some of us love the beauty and colour in our lives and others want to avoid visitors!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Many edible plants have poisonous look-a-likes. However, I want to know more about this mushroom that kills you 17 days later? What could metabolize so slowly?

Some in the Cortinarius family, most books say they're edible but there was a warning put out some years ago, i'll see if I can find any updates.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that some of the dangerouse plants maybe grown because of the beautiful flora the plant produces. I can't remember the name of the plant that was so pretty but if the sap of the plant got on a humans skin it would make very painful blisters.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that some of the dangerouse plants maybe grown because of the beautiful flora the plant produces. I can't remember the name of the plant that was so pretty but if the sap of the plant got on a humans skin it would make very painful blisters.

Spurge?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did a search for spurge and that could be the plant I am thinking of. Spurge is classified as a weed and can cause some severe damage to the skin and if eaten kill. Thanks Zigs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we lived in upstate NY a neighbor had some flowers by his garage and was so proud of them. He also had two small daughters, and I felt I ought to tell him the flowers were belladonna (nightshade). I considered not mentioning it because the daughters were brats. I told him and lived to regret it.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Cool :)

Would only take a few minutes in most gardens to find something to kill someone with though. I could find some seeds so small you wouldn't even notice them on your cracker, or some mushrooms that would kill you 17 days later

I hope I remember to never eat lunch at your house

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When we lived in upstate NY a neighbor had some flowers by his garage and was so proud of them. He also had two small daughters, and I felt I ought to tell him the flowers were belladonna (nightshade). I considered not mentioning it because the daughters were brats. I told him and lived to regret it.:(

I did similar when a neighbour's kids were playing around a fruiting Cherry Laurel, she had a go at me, saying she doesn't know how I bring my kids up but hers would never put anything in their mouths.

I just thought of the Darwin awards and let them get on with it.

Brought my kids up to know exactly what they can eat and what will kill them.

I used to take school classes out on nature walks to identify wild plants.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did a search for spurge and that could be the plant I am thinking of. Spurge is classified as a weed and can cause some severe damage to the skin and if eaten kill. Thanks Zigs.

There are cultivated versions of it too Pat :)

Reaction score
There are cultivated versions of it too Pat :)

There are - in fact there are so many different species of Euphorbia or Spurge that many people don't realize the vast number of plants that do belong to the Euphorbia family - as apart from the better known ones like " Crown of Thorns " and " Poinsettias " there are many, many succulent and cactus varieties too

Euphorbia - Cactus - Large.jpg

Euphorbia - Succulents.jpg

as well as the many garden varieties - like these for example

Euphorbia - Ascot Rainbow.jpg

Euphorbia - Efanthia.jpg

Euphorbia - Characias  - Dwarf .jpg

all of which contain the same poisonous milky latex - however although some varieties are more toxic than others - they are all capable of causing a severe allergic skin reaction - as well as temporary blindness if the latex should come in contact with the eyes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
About the only plant that comes to mind that has been an issue in this area is the Giant Hogweed. It seems to be spreading and because it looks similar to wild parsley (?) we have had instances where children and/or garners have touched it and been hurt by the sap. At work one of the residents feared we had some Hogweed out in the back areas, turned out it wasn't but in their defense I might have thought the same thing to.

I am sure we have many poison berries and plants, but most of the time I am more worried about Bears or prickers getting me. Neither would make for a great day. I am just grateful to be in New York, when I went to visit west Virginia I was surprised to find they have little cactus's that grow in the lawns, OUCH!

Ask a Question