Poinsettia is just green now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
The leaves on my poinsettia are all green and the plant isn't bushy. It's tall-ish and there are only leaves near the top. What can I do to make the red leaves grow again? In general, what should I do to ensure a healthy poinsettia?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Red leaves on a poinsettia can only happen when the photo period is 12 hrs daylight and 12 hrs darkness. When the day light hours extend over 13 hours the plant will reveg back into green leaf production. That's why they are so popular in the Winter because of 12-12 photo period. If you want to turn the leaves red you will need to put it in a dark area for 12 hour like a closest in total darkness. Be careful because poinsettias are one of the worse plants for attracting whiteflies. Good luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For now just water and feed. To bloom again it will need VERY bright light. If you want a shorter plant cut back by 1/2. AS Oneeye said it needs short days/long nights to bloom, but first let it grow for the summer. As tropical as your area is it can be grown outside. Start with partial shade and gradually move it into at least 1/2 sun.

Ask a Question