Plumeria stem rot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I tried to propagate my plumeria tree and it didn’t go well. The cuttings rotted (I think due to being
58D2441A-3B2D-49DF-BD2D-EC1DF4C94C8A.jpeg
E1D22967-CF1E-4097-8A3B-A9C45BAD833F.jpeg
80A20E8E-A7EF-4C8F-9CF0-625C97ADC923.jpeg
D9624948-0000-41B7-9FEB-6D47A9740735.jpeg
left out in the rain - oops, my fault!). But now this summer the branch where I cut it off seems to have stem rot. It’s soft and squishy. It’s been making it’s way down the branch. I can cut it off at the base of the branch, but I’m worried it will happen again. How do I ensure that it won’t spread to the main trunk of the tree and kill it? My Dad propagated this tree from a cutting we got in Hawaii in 1999. He passed away this year and this tree means so much to me. Please help me save it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, do cut the rot off the base of the branch. Do that as soon as possible. Fungus will usually travel farther down the inside of a stem, than on the epidermis.

I think you will be alright if you do this, but I can't guarantee it. Depending on the exact fungus and the health of the plant the rot may just stop at the dead branch or continue into the main stem. I wouldn't put any compound on the pruning cut, just let it heal naturally.

Clearly, you over-wintered it very well last Winter. Did you keep it green as a houseplant, or did you let it go dormant indoors? In any case, repeat whatever you did.

Last edited:

Ask a Question