Plumbing idea

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20170407_044952.jpg

This is the deck of the rental property we have and are putting on the market. Note the pipe above the pot. It was white and stood out like you know what:mad::LOL:! The real estate agent came up with the idea to paint it yellow to match the house, a 1950's retro and yellow and green is the go, and position a plant underneath so the pipe has a purpose. Excellent idea and effective, don't you think?
Also please note the kookaburra. They visit everyday (I'm working there everyday in readiness for the sale) and I feed them, great selling point for buyers coming to the bush. It's actually just the outskirts of Melbourne but to "flat landers" it's the bush. I'd love to hang a rain chain from the pipe to the pot but only seem to be able to buy on line and too late for the photographer who comes in 3 days. Would be nice though. I would like to have one at home so I'll find a spot.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DeborahJane, hello!! :)

It's a very good idea, but :unsure: won't the water coming from such a height wash the dirt out of the pot? :eek:

It's a lovely kookaburra, and I notice you've had a hand in gardening at this location, too!!:D What is the pink bush visible under the table? (And what is a rain chain? :confused: )

Good to "see" you!! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
A rain chain is a Japanese idea of a series of little cups upside down, a bit like a champagne tower :rolleyes:;) one under the other and the water trickles down or I guess pours from one cup to the next. And you're right about a down pour. Hope it's fine weather when potential buyers are looking. I guess it might have to be moved or diverted in really wet weather. You know the rain chain would moderate the flow.
I don't know what the pink bush is . I'll take a closer look and maybe a photo tomorrow and show you:). I'm thinking a boronia.
Been very caught up with this reno, absolutely no gardening in my own garden which is really desperate for attention. Hope it doesn't throw a tantrum and do something distructive before i can get to it. Open day Easter Saturday so nearly there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
We have something similar, but it's drain ports (4) on the eave of a covered patio... and we have a rain chain under one too :) They are very beautiful especially when it's raining.

I have many potted plants in the backyard and some are below the patio drain ports. Be cautious, with any significant rain - volume of water out the pipe, will beat down the plants and flush the soil out of the pot. I know this from experience :(

Now I just move the pots a little when any significant rain is forecast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We have something similar, but it's drain ports (4) on the eave of a covered patio... and we have a rain chain under one too :) They are very beautiful especially when it's raining.

I have many potted plants in the backyard and some are below the patio drain ports. Be cautious, with any significant rain - volume of water out the pipe, will beat down the plants and flush the soil out of the pot. I know this from experience :(

Now I just move the pots a little when any significant rain is forecast.
Thanks Greenhorn, makes sense

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been off looking at rain chains!! How pretty!! (y) Thank you, DeborahJane! :love:

Are you creative-crafty? There are many that look fairly easy to make!

Little terra cotta pots, or old funnels:

th
th

Watering cans or old keys:

th
th

Metal colanders or actual chains:

th
th

Seashells or wrapped rocks:

th
th

Empty bottles or old shower curtain hooks:

th
th

Cookie cutters and another from wine bottles:

th
th

All pictures gleefully stolen from the web. I'm sorry if they steal them back! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
A rain chain would be perfect. There are so many creative designs to choose from and clever people with time often make their own. I have been thinking of installing a rain chain for maybe 3 or 4 years. Maybe i will actually do it before the rainy season this year, and then maybe not, but i hope so:rolleyes: ooh @MaryMary i am kind of liking the shell and stone chains and glass. No rust:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea @DeborahJane! I'd also be worried about heavy rain doing damage, but the rain chain looks like a great solution (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love the rain chain idea!
Looks like a pretty and secluded back deck. How much rain do you get there, anyway?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I finally saw the bird in the tree :) Not to be cliche but that doesn't happen to be (what was) a gum tree does it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cookie cutters and another from wine bottles:

th
th

All pictures gleefully stolen from the web. I'm sorry if they steal them back! :ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

The cookie cutter rain chain is too cute! Also, I hope I am replying right. Should I be removing all that quoted text first?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also, I hope I am replying right. Should I be removing all that quoted text first?
It doesn't really matter. :) (y) If the quoted text is too long, the program automatically shortens it, and you'll see a box that says "Click to expand."

If I am only referring to a small part of a person's post, I'll quote only that part. This forum makes that easy! :D Just highlight the part you want to comment on as if you were going to cut and paste it, and as soon as you let go of the button, a little "balloon" pops up that says "Reply." Click it, and it will quote only the part you highlighted.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Just highlight the part you want to comment on as if you were going to cut and paste it, and as soon as you let go of the button, a little "balloon" pops up that says "Reply." Click it, and it will quote only the part you highlighted.
Magic MaryMary!!!!!!
And very inspiring rain chains. Love the rocks and the key idea.

Ask a Question