Plumb tree new root growth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my plumb tree has new growth coming from the roots.
Do I cut them down, or encourage it?

plumbtree-rootgroth.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
IMO these are suckers. Yes, left to mature, probably plums will one day be produced. However they will be different from your valued plum tree. Most trees etc are now produced by grafting onto a different rootstock. The graft can be recognised by the lumpy part of the trunk close to soil level. Any growth from below the graft, will more than likely be suckers. Suckers can be seperated and grown on seperately, but they will be offspring of the original parent.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your reply :)
So how do I separate them, just pull them up? Put them in a pot with rooting compound?
But really, I don't know if I want to be bothered with plumb trees anymore; they have a very little usable yield (mine anyway). But you never know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
The suckers will be of the original tree/plant variety. This is known as the rootstock. From the graft up, is the selected cultivar. Simply destroy the suckers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I didn't write that very well, I meant, if I want to grow them somewhere else in the garden, will they grow?
A bit of rooting compound to start them off?

Ask a Question