Plugs vs Sod

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Over the winter an appointmently 16sf area of St Augustine died. Not brown patch, simply died. An adjoining smaller area suffered but seems to have small green patches. Question, would plugging the dead area be sufficient or should I have the area replaced with new sod? Plugging seems to be a simple precess. Oh, the area is in full sun and is watered and federalized.

When replacing dead grass how should the surface be prepared?

Thank you,
Louis
Dallas County TX

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Never had any luck with plugs.......If your 20, now, you just MIGHT live long enough to see the area covered planting plugs. Would think that the FIRST thing to do is find out WHY that spot died in the first place, then go from there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Over the winter an appointmently 16sf area of St Augustine died. Not brown patch, simply died. An adjoining smaller area suffered but seems to have small green patches. Question, would plugging the dead area be sufficient or should I have the area replaced with new sod? Plugging seems to be a simple precess. Oh, the area is in full sun and is watered and federalized.

When replacing dead grass how should the surface be prepared?

Thank you,
Louis
Dallas County TX
Why did the grass die?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
While Dallas is zoned 8a, we are also experiencing a solar minimum with some out of zone temperatures. It simply got too cold is my guess.

Ask a Question