Please tell me. What is wrong with this tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
All of the leaves on this tree are yellow. I have two more in the same area that are just fine.

Attachments

• 20160730_131645.jpg
    20160730_131645.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 20160730_131653.jpg
    20160730_131653.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My wife tells me your plant is under stress, probably heat or sun related and a slight possibility of too much water, a common occurrence and although yellowing now is early, is probably nothing to worry about as it will soon start to loose its leaves anyway and will be fine come spring. Does this tree get more of anything than the others?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
All three are in my backyard on the east side.They are 10 feet apart and receive the same amount of water.They were planted at the same time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Using a measure meter the tree with the yellow leaves reades on #5 the other two read on #3.

Attachments

• 20160730_163045.jpg
    20160730_163045.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All three are in my backyard on the east side.They are 10 feet apart and receive the same amount of water.They were planted at the same time.
My wife says that about the only thing that could affect the tree is a root problem as there is no pathogen showing. She assumes that these plants were all in containers when planted and that there were no encircling roots which leaves only nutrition. Advises to apply iron and nitrogen but still believes plant is not in serious danger. She believes that if it were a moisture issue the leaf margins and tips would be affected by showing either slight curl or browning.

PS. I do vegetables, she does all the other stuff but she does not do computers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Using a measure meter the tree with the yellow leaves reades on #5 the other two read on #3.
If this is the case then it would appear that this particular tree is planted in an area with slightly worse drainage than the other two trees. the soil might be packed a bit tighter or contain more clay... whatever the cause, it clearly has more water sitting around the roots than the others do. The droopiness of the leaves suggests a watering issue as my house plants often get limp leaves when under-watered. I suspect a similar symptom can occur when over watering is happening as well. If this problem persists root rot could become an issue and then your tree could die. I don't know if you water your trees or just let the rain do the job, but I would avoid extra waterings on that particular tree for a while and see what happens. You may need to replant elsewhere, or mound up the soil in that spot, dig some drainage holes and replant the tree. If there is a lot of clay it could take up to a week or more for rain water to drain out, so this tree could need a little assistance in getting started.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It looks like your tree has an emotional problem (idiom) so I guess it's not the need for fertilizer, not the lack of water, not even the sunshine. What about checking the soil? There might be parasites in the soil. One of our neighbors here had a mango tree that was around 3 years old and suddenly it died just like that. When my husband investigated, there were small insects in the soil that probably ravaged the roots. Just my hunch.

Ask a Question