Please suggest flowers with room to bloom lower than the mower!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am not a lawn purist. :rolleyes: Why bother? I've read lots of threads written by lawn purists, and it just seems like so much work and worry. I don't need that in my life, which leans towards general unruliness most of the time anyway. :ROFLMAO:

I quite like the little flowers that dot my grass with color. :love:

I have white clover, wild violets, and a few dandelions. (I do gig some of the dandelions, because they want to take over, and I don't really want an invasion. :cautious:.)

I already have plans to plant some naturalizing crocus and some grape hyacinths. I am probably going to plant some bird's foot trefoil. :unsure: (I'm not too sure about the bird's foot trefoil. They get a bit scrubby looking, but I love the little flowers, they remind me of my childhood. I used to call them "Popcorn flowers." :LOL:.)

Any ideas? What else can I plant that will stay low and still give me flowers? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
You can see the department of "Flower seeds for rock garden" in the shop.
There, for sure, you can find small flowers for your climate and with different periods of flowering. Many of these flowers grow in ordinary soil. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I am right there with you @MaryMary , not a lawn purist either. have several early bulbs that bloom in drifts way before the lawn needs its first cutting. And just put in a gift of 20 low tulips. also have the clusters of violets and some wild primrose. There are some low ground covers that bloom, and form mats as they expand, not sure your into that, but I am sure if you google you can find their names etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you ever heard of Horse Herb or Stragler Daisy. It is what folks use around here as a ground cover. It has little yellow flowers and will grow all spring summer and fall in your zone and come back every spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have clover, wild violets in my lawn, I also have creeping jenny, its low growing and can be mowed with harming it. I also grow it in my fish tanks.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Aubretia is really lovely and comes in many colour. Rock roses are very pretty. Not sure if they are lower than lawnmower though! You can go for a lot of alpine plants.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you, everyone, for your answers! :)

I probably should have clarified that I am looking for individual flowers, not a groundcover to replace the lawn. So, nothing too invasive. :(

@Larisa, that's a great idea!! (y) I'll have a good google later!! :D

@Esther Knapicius, wild primrose, hmm.... and bulbs that bloom before the mowing begins!! Yes!! (I can hear the complaining already!!) :rolleyes: "Oh great, more stuff I have to mow around..." :ROFLMAO: ... Miniature daffodils popping up in the yard would be pretty... Maybe a clump or three of tulips...

@Chuck, I googled "Straggler daisy," and the first thing recommended was :eek: "Also try how to get rid of straggler daisy." I'm not sure this tiny flower is worth it!! :unsure:

th
th

Aubretia is really lovely and comes in many colour. Rock roses are very pretty. Not sure if they are lower than lawnmower though!

Oh, now that is really pretty! :love: I read it blooms in late spring to early summer, and grows to a height of 4-6". If it blooms early enough, it might be able to flower before getting mowed. More reading is necessary... :unsure:

:) Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius, wild primrose, hmm.... and bulbs that bloom before the mowing begins!! Yes!! (I can hear the complaining already!!) :rolleyes: "Oh great, more stuff I have to mow around..." :ROFLMAO: ... Miniature daffodils popping up in the yard would be pretty... Maybe a clump or three of tulips...
bulbs that you buy that are described as "naturalizer" will come up, bloom and start to turn to seed. you do mow them down and let the lawn mower throw the seed places. do not suck it up. I do not have miniature daffs for the general open lawn, they do come up a little later than the ones that come up way before the grass is tall. when you read, you much note bloom time, what part of the month etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I need more hellebore. They do well undr the canopy over the house and I bet they would do well under the canopy down the driveway.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I need more hellebore. They do well undr the canopy over the house and I bet they would do well under the canopy down the driveway.

I love hellebores. Low maintenance and tough as old boots and yet they yield such beautiful flowers, with different colours, shapes, collars, veined, dotted, striped .. They can do well in full sun as long as the soil is moist and free-draining and the spot a bit sheltered. They say they prefer a dry head. I had two on the south facing borders with 13 hours of sun in the summer. They had tons of babies.. just like that ..

Ask a Question