20131204_171745_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks to me like it could be a buddleia. You would usually see much taller cones of flowers, but there are some varieties with short cones. They are really pretty shrubs and butterflies love them!

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies here is a clear pic of flowers.

Attachments

• 20131204_172107.jpg
    20131204_172107.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 392
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This is an intriguing flower. It looks vaguely like several different plants in either the Mint Family (Lamiaceae) or maybe the Acanth Family (Acanthaceae), but I have yet to find an exact match. I will continue to ponder this.

@Larisa, what do you think it is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Thai sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum var. thyrsiflora), I think. Thai sweet basil in places of natural growth (Iran, India and other tropical countries of Asia) is a perennial (usually biennial) herbaceous plant or branched subshrub, reaching 30-45 cm in height, with leaves from 2 to 5 cm.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, Larisa.

I agree, it is some type of Basil (Ocimum), but the color and shape of the flowers seems different from the more common kinds of basil.

There is a hybrid known as African Blue Basil. It is a cross between Kilimanjaro Basil (Ocimum kilimandscharicum) and common Purple Basil (Ocimum basilicum 'Dark Opal') that seems to have flowers similar the ones in the picture. It isn't that common but it is sold by some nurseries here in the U.S. and is probably more common among herb connoisseurs.

The plants in the photos still don't look quite the same. Perhaps it is yet another species or hybrid.
However, it could also be variation due to culture or seedling variability.
basil_african_blue_flower_spike_01.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Marck, your picture is not the Basil I was talking about. Here these seeds are sold as Thai Basil or Thai Queen. But perhaps there is another name.
Look at the link.

https://flic.kr/p/fzzn1A

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I know, but look a the shape of the corolla, as well as the color. The two plants are rather different.

I'm not even certain the hybrid African Blue Basil is a perfect match. Those flowers are quite atypical for Ocimum basilicum, but there are many other species...

Ask a Question