Please ID my "Creek-weed"

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A few years ago, I brought home a plant from beside the creek. IMHO, I saved it. I could see what it was supposed to look like, right behind it, where they had not been weed-whacking. :) I dug it up and brought it home. We've called it "Creek-weed" ever since, but it would be nice to know what it is!

1023161425a.jpg

1023161425.jpg

If I had it to do over, I would have planted it in a container in the ground, to keep the roots from spreading. It is everywhere! I can keep it in check by weeding, it pulls up fairly easily. And it doesn't mind being pruned.

With a weed-whacker. :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah, that would be a plant called 'butter and eggs' I think - Linaria vulgaris. It can go a little wild if planted in the right place - moist, rich soils -

Reaction score
Country
United States
Common Toadflax (Linaria vulgaris), also known as Butter-and-Eggs, is a pernennial herv in the Plantago Family (Plantaginaceae).
It is native to most of temperate Eurasia, and is now grown worldwide as an ornamental garden plant. It is a graceful addition to any garden and useful to many pollinators, though it may need to brought to heel at times. It sounds like the OP is managing this plant's enthusiastic tendencies well with some weeding and pruning.

Ask a Question