Please help with landscape around brick mailbox

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been struggling to come up with how to landscape this area around my mailbox. The biggest problem is that my sprinklers do not reach this area, so whatever I plant needs to be somewhat drought tolerant. The other problem I've had is figuring out what would look best with the mailbox as tall as it is. I drew a mock up of some ideas & got a little help at a local nursery yesterday, but wanted to see if anyone here might have any other suggestions. I did buy the Abelia & Penstemon yesterday, so I for sure need to use them somehow in my design. I've included a picture of my mock up & a picture of the actual area from a street view. Thanks so much for you help!
house.jpg
mailbox.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would just use some large stones for decoration and not plant anything there since you have no water there. Say a couple of stones that are a couple of ft tall and wide that are real pretty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would plant a suitable tree like eucalyptus - after preparing the ground REALLY WELL. That would provide shade. Here`s a list of alternatives I found on t`web

• Eastern Redcedar. Juniperus virginiana. ...
  • Bur Oak. Quercus macrocarpa. ...
  • Northern Red Oak. Quercus rubra. ...
  • Kentucky Coffeetree. Gymnocladus dioicus. ...
  • Hackberry. Celtis occidentalis. ...
  • Chinkapin Oak. Quercus muehlenbergii. ...
  • Northern Catalpa. Catalpa speciosa. ...
  • London Planetree. Platanus x acerifolia.

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
If you don’t want a lot of work for flowers all summer, maybe fill the entire area with Lantana. Flowers all summer, only need to cut back the dead once a year. Butterflies and hummingbirds like them and they won’t block your view of the road. They come in different colors too.

Ask a Question