Please help! White spots on Chamaedorea

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG I'm brand new to indoor gardening but have been stalking these forums for a while and I hope someone can help!
I have white spots on my new Chamaedorea plants. I thought they could be mealy bugs but they don't move and no matter what insecticide I try they won't go away! I was hoping I could get some advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 28834 View attachment 28835 View attachment 28836 View attachment 28834 View attachment 28835 View attachment 28836 View attachment 28837 I'm brand new to indoor gardening but have been stalking these forums for a while and I hope someone can help!
I have white spots on my new Chamaedorea plants. I thought they could be mealy bugs but they don't move and no matter what insecticide I try they won't go away! I was hoping I could get some advice!
The pictures aren't closeup enough for a positive Id but I'll give my 2 cents worth. I think your plant has hard or armored scale. These tiny insects are like barnacles in that they are literally stuck to the leaf and do not move nor can you easily scratch them off. It is either this or it is a salts buildup from synthetic fertilizers or from your water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you!! I know, the pictures aren't the best
I haven't been using tap water but I know my soil/fertilizer isn't exactly top quality - should I repot with a better soil? I've already repotted them last week, I'm worried about doing it twice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you!! I know, the pictures aren't the best
I haven't been using tap water but I know my soil/fertilizer isn't exactly top quality - should I repot with a better soil? I've already repotted them last week, I'm worried about doing it twice
There is no reason to replace the soil at this time. Just start using a good organic fertilizer. Also since we aren't positive that the spots are a mineral salt extrusion go ahead and spray the plant with Neem Oil. If it is hard scale this will kill them and in time they will fall off.

Ask a Question