Please help..what is this plant.... why do you keep growing....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hope all are well.... I need some help please with these plants (attached picture) I keep pulling them out and they keep growing like wild fire. Quite sick of them literally now and ruining part of my patio border..

What kind of plants are these and how do i get rid? Any information will be good, quite new to gardening so your expert help will be much appreciated... ncl, uk
20210625_152403.jpg
20210625_152417.jpg
20210625_152511.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to see the leaves when they open fully. Bit worried that what you have there is Japanese knotweed, but cannot say for sure. Certainly somewhere nearby there is a plant which is suckering into your area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to see the leaves when they open fully. Bit worried that what you have there is Japanese knotweed, but cannot say for sure. Certainly somewhere nearby there is a plant which is suckering into your area.

Thanks @Owdboggy - quite worried about that now too if it it japanese knotweed as I know a nearby building which was infested by it and still undergoing treatment.

I will let one of these shoots fully grow and I will reattach a picture in the coming week, thanks a million

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Don't know if it is found in the UK but it looks like the Pokeberry plant we have here. I keep ours from going to seed to slow the spread but the roots keep sprouting up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree, it's going to have to get some more growth on it, but it reminds me of when I chop down a 4 0'clock plant, when it grows back, it looks similar to that, with that thick stem, as opposed to the same plant starting from a seed, which is much smaller and obviously a seedling.

The same could be said for a Pokeberry plant, as mentioned by Mrsclem in post #4 above, that's how it looks when I chop and drop it, then it grows back from the root system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys for the responses, just found a shoot nearby but its not fully grown yet, i'll keep an eye on this one until grown abit more...
20210630_121846.jpg
20210630_121843.jpg
20210630_121837.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that it's not Knotweed too :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah thats brilliant guys! You guys know your plants for sure.

I've just found an old picture before I had the garden remake over in the exact same place and those yellow flowers on the lysimachia look very similar.

Now digging these roots up.... here comes the fun....

Thanks again guys
20210630_163659.jpg

Ask a Question